Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Got some great advice here for a casual birding telephoto, weather rant

Okay, my original thread on needing an inexpensive solution for a "longer" lens when out birding left me with two immediate choices to work with. I say immediate as I already own the gear suggested.

The first one I tried was my 500mm mirror lens. As I suspected, without a monopod, which I don't want to carry, it is actually too light for me to easily keep steady.

The second was to use my Tamron 1.4Tc with the 55-300mm lens. I did some practice shots around the yard and couldn't wait to take it out birding with me. But there has been one big obstacle here. In over a week there has not been a day that I went birding that wasn't rainy. My camera and lens are WR, the TC is not. So the rig stayed home.

So I am now ranting against the weather that has stopped me from putting advice into action out in the field.

thanks for listening.

05-06-2016, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chibae Quote
The second was to use my Tamron 1.4Tc with the 55-300mm lens.
This is the setup I use, handheld; with excellent results!
05-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

This is the setup I use, handheld; with excellent results!
I know, you are the one whose advice I am trying to follow. But, I don't want to take a WR body and WR lens out in the rain connected by a NON-WR TC.
05-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have a steady rain, the birds likely will not be active.

05-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
If you have a steady rain, the birds likely will not be active.
True but it's been intermittent enough that I'm afraid to take it out on longer walks. And during the rain breaks the warblers are out. As one friend put it, there is no bad weather for birding, only bad clothing. Thanks for listening.
05-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also, if you are hand holding, overcast skies are not your friend unless your camera body is fine with high ISO. The combination of needing a shutter speed 1/400 or faster, low light and losing a stop with the TC would make this a tough test.
05-06-2016, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, you could make a rain cover out of a plastic grocery sack. Cut a slit in the bottom, push the lens thru, and have the rest of the bag cover the camera. The open end of the sack will allow you to reach the controls and lens, & still keep the rain off of it. I always have rain covers from OpTech handy.

05-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Also, if you are hand holding, overcast skies are not your friend unless your camera body is fine with high ISO.
Or you use a flash with flash extender. Even the popup flash with the light and cheap Rogue Safari: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/256288-rogue-safari-flash-extender.html
Limited to 1/180th second but you can get the ISO down and use a narrower aperture. The flash brings out a lot more colour and detail.

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

Well, you could make a rain cover out of a plastic grocery sack. Cut a slit in the bottom, push the lens thru, and have the rest of the bag cover the camera. The open end of the sack will allow you to reach the controls and lens, & still keep the rain off of it. I always have rain covers from OpTech handy.
Smart idea Carol. And if it's only the TC that isn't WR, a small plastic bag over it, secured with rubber bands, would do the trick.
05-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Or you use a flash with flash extender. Even the popup flash with the light and cheap Rogue Safari.
Of course you can use a flash. I've also snagged some nice shots in low light with my 55-300 and the pop up, or with my Metz 64AF and Better Beamer. I have even set up multiple flashes on tripods for catching birds in low light. You can make almost anything work, but if you are trying to travel light as the OP implied, heavily overcast days are not your friend with that lens plus converter.

Last edited by GeneV; 05-08-2016 at 08:56 PM.
05-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Of course you can use a flash. I've also snagged some nice shots in low light with my 55-300 and the pop up, or with my Metz 64AF and Better Beamer. I have even set up multiple flashes on tripods for catching birds in low light. You can make almost anything work, but if you are trying to travel light as the OP implied, heavily overcast days are not your friend with that lens plus converter.
Yes, no doubt - when f8 is a starting point, low light is tough. The good thing about the Rogue is that it weighs next to nothing, is cheap, and can get you photos you wouldn't otherwise get, provided the birds aren't too far away (<15m or say 50').

BTW, I've been looking at flashes myself, Gene, and I found your reviews of the Metz 64, Sigma 610 and Pentax 540 all very helpful.
05-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Yes, no doubt - when f8 is a starting point, low light is tough. The good thing about the Rogue is that it weighs next to nothing, is cheap, and can get you photos you wouldn't otherwise get, provided the birds aren't too far away (<15m or say 50').

BTW, I've been looking at flashes myself, Gene, and I found your reviews of the Metz 64, Sigma 610 and Pentax 540 all very helpful.
Thanks. None of them are perfect. At least the flash helps with the other side effect of low light and the absence of a tripod--camera shake.