Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NEWSFLASH! Pentax Doesn't Make Lenses O.O

So this just happened in a FB photography group with the commonplace "what camera should I get" thread...

Name:  524324.png
Views: 1589
Size:  19.9 KB

I'm at a loss for words. Is this legitimately a widely held belief? Because I've never come across this before...

-Heie

05-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The idiocy of some on the internet is legion. You can read all sorts of errant stuff.

NaCl(and I won't even begin to get into conspiracy theories)H2O

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-31-2016 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Removed vulgarity
05-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I assume that for these people not even Leica makes its own glass.

They are Canonikonians, their event horizon is limited.
05-31-2016, 04:58 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This statement is so full of errors I hardly know where to begin, But I think it is worth noting that every lens manufacturer outsources glass blanks/finished lenses used to make their lenses. There are still many patents out there on different glass types and the chemistry has to be precisely controlled to enhance physical handling/working characteristics and for specific refractive indexes - Canon doesn't make anywhere near enough types to make their lenses 100% in house - I'm pretty sure that no one actually does anymore.

Canon, Schott(Schneider), Ohara (Nippon kogaku), Corning, Asahi(Pentax), Hoya, UTG,Edmund,Cooke,Hikari(Nikon) et. al. are all suppliers. So any claim that Canons lenses are superior because they make the glass for them is weapons grade BS. I'd say of the total lens catalog from Canon: approximately 60% of the glass used in their lenses is manufactured by Canon internally. The rest of their lenses are produced elsewhere either because it is simply cheaper, or they don't have the rights to create the specialty glass types needed for their lens designs.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
The idiocy of some on the internet is legion.
And here I was thinking it was the sane center of the universe..

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-01-2016 at 12:32 AM.
05-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #5

Like the sales guy at the music store telling us that Fender is the only company making tube amps, while standing in front of an Engl Savage 120 and a wall of Marshalls tube heads...
05-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

From 'FakesBook' - all I need to know.
05-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can find so many lens selling posts on eBay or craigslist, without saying anything about mount type. I am not talking about someone selling old lenses found in the closet after grandpa passed away, I mean those selling their own lenses but didn't know there were other mount types...100% canikons

05-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ugh, for your sake I hope "Jonathan" is open to learning new things and doesn't challenge you further.
I went down the rabbit hole of a Facebook photography gear argument about a week ago, you don't want to go there.
05-31-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lets just hope they never end up here.
05-31-2016, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those worthy and deserving of fine gear will always find their way to it in time despite misinformation. Once informed, they'll look with suspicion on the source of misleading info in the future.

Those satisfied with what others tell them will never know or enjoy the difference anyway. Smile and wave as you pass 'em.
05-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #11

While I disagree with the purported link between a company manufacturing its own optical class and the quality of its products, I'm not sure the Facebook comment is factually incorrect. I think Canon (who make a limited number of special optical elements for their lenses) and Nikon (with their subsidy Hikari Glassworks) might be the only two camera manufacturers who actually still produce their own optical glass. Most other camera manufacturers buy from Hoya or a few other optical glass manufacturers. I'm not saying either Canon or Nikon produce ALL of the glass that goes into their lenses, but they both produce at least some of it. There are several lens companies that make their own optical glass as well, but none of these companies produce cameras.

Unless I'm mistaken?

Last edited by funkathustra; 05-31-2016 at 07:59 PM.
05-31-2016, 09:18 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by funkathustra Quote
While I disagree with the purported link between a company manufacturing its own optical class and the quality of its products, I'm not sure the Facebook comment is factually incorrect. I think Canon (who make a limited number of special optical elements for their lenses) and Nikon (with their subsidy Hikari Glassworks) might be the only two camera manufacturers who actually still produce their own optical glass. Most other camera manufacturers buy from Hoya or a few other optical glass manufacturers. I'm not saying either Canon or Nikon produce ALL of the glass that goes into their lenses, but they both produce at least some of it. There are several lens companies that make their own optical glass as well, but none of these companies produce cameras.
Do you reckon "Jonathan" has your nuance, Funkathustra?
05-31-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget Zeiss who also make a few lenses - including currently for Canon, Nikon and Sony mounts
06-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Is this legitimately a widely held belief?
Aye, but that's what makes all of us here... so special as we know otherwise.

But don't you go telling everyone, Pentax glass, legacy especially is ramping up in price now already.
06-01-2016, 12:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Don't forget Zeiss who also make a few lenses
Zeiss optics are just Cosina products dressed up in drag.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-01-2016 at 12:34 AM.