Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

HD DA 1.4x rear converter - incompatible lenses?

I recently picked up the HD DA 1.4x rear converter and I note that certain lenses - specifically, the DA15, DA21 and DA40XS - can't be used with it, as they can damage the converter. Does anyone know why that is? Also, does anyone know if there are other legacy Pentax lenses (including older manual models) that shouldn't be combined with it?

Thanks in advance!

07-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rear elements of those lenses can come into contact with the TC.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam - that's all I could think of
07-23-2016, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
Hi Mike,

Here we have an XS 40mm next to a teleconverter, as I see it the sticky-up thing on the lens will foul the inside of the converter, so too the rear element of the lens might hit the lens in the converter thus CRACK!! I have not tried to mate the two together less I create a bastard child, does this make sense? Quick photo with my MX-1.

Nick

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 

Last edited by Nickrs; 07-23-2016 at 02:37 PM.
07-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nick, thanks for this - very helpful Looking at your photo (which, incidentally, shows a worktop about as tidy as mine!! ), then looking at my DA15, DA21 and comparing to some other "compatible" lenses, it seems like the incompatible models have either (a) a rear element that, during focusing, can extend out back far enough to hit the converter's glass, or (b) have a protective "surround" sticking out far enough that will do the same. It should be easy enough to see if any other lenses might have problems
07-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I mounted the 15mm and 1.4x before I knew they were incompatible and shot a few shots - luckily I never seemed to cause damage - I wasn't shooting a wide variety of subject distances and I think I just lucked out.
07-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #7

Just wondering, why would you want to mount a 15mm lens on a 1.4x teleconverter other than just out of curiosity? I've used my teleconverter for extra reach on my 300mm f4 and my 100mm f2.8 Macro, it also works really well with my new 28-105 zoom but why would you want to use it with a wide angle lens?

07-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
Just wondering, why would you want to mount a 15mm lens on a 1.4x teleconverter other than just out of curiosity? I've used my teleconverter for extra reach on my 300mm f4 and my 100mm f2.8 Macro, it also works really well with my new 28-105 zoom but why would you want to use it with a wide angle lens?
LOL - if you participate in the Single In challenge using one lens for a month creative solutions seem needed at times.

There is no real practical reason other than if you have a limited bag space and you have it with you - let's say you took the 15, 70, 200 with you and wanted something not as tight as 70 but not as wide as 15? I can see why you might do it in practical situations but rarely would it come up.
07-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There is no real practical reason other than if you have a limited bag space and you have it with you - let's say you took the 15, 70, 200 with you and wanted something not as tight as 70 but not as wide as 15? I can see why you might do it in practical situations but rarely would it come up.
Yep, TC are never perfect, even with long lenses anyway. You could just take a longer lens.

TC is about being lightweight and also price. And once you get it for one lens, nothing prevent it to be used for many others as it here, small and light for you to try. This is a practical tool.
07-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
LOL - if you participate in the Single In challenge using one lens for a month creative solutions seem needed at times.

Bearing in mind that even the best teleconverter (TC) [which I understand the Pentax 1.4x is] might compromise the ultimate performance of a prime lens then do we find that there is no significant IQ benefit of a prime with TC over a zoom lens? I haven't done a comparative evaluation between a Prime/TC combination and a high quality zoom to answer that question for myself so perhaps I should.

The test could be at 70mm between my SMC Pentax-DA 50mm f/1.8 + TC against my HD Pentax D-FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR, it would be fun on a nice sunny day in the garden.
07-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
Bearing in mind that even the best teleconverter (TC) [which I understand the Pentax 1.4x is] might compromise the ultimate performance of a prime lens then do we find that there is no significant IQ benefit of a prime with TC over a zoom lens?
I think that depends entirely on both the prime and zoom lenses as well as the circumstances....

One of our members here uses a Pentax DA*200 f/2.8 both with and without the 1.4x TC instead of the DA*60-250 f/4 he previously used for short-to-medium-range nature photography. For the distances he's photographing at, that combination gives him significant extra reach over the 60-250, which provides less and less magnification at close ranges due to focus breathing. It's also a more compact solution, if I remember correctly.

Another example is the DFA100 f/2.8 Macro - I believe some people are combining this with the 1.4x TC for even greater magnification in macro work.

For me personally, I guess I can see a potential benefit to using it with the DA50 f/1.8 to provide two very nice portraiture focal lengths in a reasonably fast one lens kit. I haven't tried it yet, though, and of course I could just carry the DA50 and DA70 together - it's not much more space!
07-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think that depends entirely on both the prime and zoom lenses as well as the circumstances....

One of our members here uses a Pentax DA*200 f/2.8 both with and without the 1.4x TC instead of the DA*60-250 f/4 he previously used for short-to-medium-range nature photography. For the distances he's photographing at, that combination gives him significant extra reach over the 60-250, which provides less and less magnification at close ranges due to focus breathing. It's also a more compact solution, if I remember correctly.

Another example is the DFA100 f/2.8 Macro - I believe some people are combining this with the 1.4x TC for even greater magnification in macro work.

For me personally, I guess I can see a potential benefit to using it with the DA50 f/1.8 to provide two very nice portraiture focal lengths in a reasonably fast one lens kit. I haven't tried it yet, though, and of course I could just carry the DA50 and DA70 together - it's not much more space!
I do the TC- D-FA 100mm macro thing, it really does work well.

I do a TC- DA* 300mm f/4 thing for birdies, this works well too as long as there is enough ambient light.

I love my 40mm XS, I always have a prime in my pocket if you see what I mean.
07-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted a shot to Flickr last night made with the da* 200 and 1.7x converter. I can try to post here later when I'm not on my phone.

That same night I also took shots directly with the 200. However I moved closer to the subject so they have similar magnification.