Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Landscape lens wanted to experiment with Neutral Density filters

I just received the Pentax 15 mm Prime and its beautiful, but I cannot use filters with it easily as it's hood is retracted into the lens. I really want a wide angle lens to take sweeping landscape pictures while using the Neutral density filters.
The wide angle lenses really seem to have a wide range of review ratings. I have the Pentax DA 18-135 mm as my widest lens.

07-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma 10-20 is a nice lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html
07-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Either the Sigma 10-20 or the Tamron 10-24 will take filters.
07-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For wide, DA12-24 f4 which is one of the best rated wide angle zoom among all third party zooms of this range. Reviews are located here : SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

07-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Trade up from your 18-135 to a 16-85
07-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Trade up from your 18-135 to a 16-85
Yes, that's also a good option. Ultrawide is not so easy for landscape, and 16-85 is a step up in corner to corner sharpness versus 18-135.
07-26-2016, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docbot Quote
I just received the Pentax 15 mm Prime and its beautiful, but I cannot use filters with it easily as it's hood is retracted into the lens. I really want a wide angle lens to take sweeping landscape pictures while using the Neutral density filters.
The wide angle lenses really seem to have a wide range of review ratings. I have the Pentax DA 18-135 mm as my widest lens.
I am not sure that I understand the nature of your question. The DA 15/4 is compatible with 49mm filters with no interference with the hood. Is there a particular brand of filter that is causing your problem?

Steve

07-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

assuming you mean square filters, i had no problem using a Cokin holder on the DA15. Do a search - it works and well.
07-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
just starting with neutral density filters

I ordered a variable neutral density filter. I know it's not the best choice for quality, but an inexpensive way to try different levels of light blocking.
That filter does not fit. I guess I could try just a non variable filter that is thinner.
07-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a B+W ND 3.0 (10 stop) on my DA15 regularly. Works great! I know not all 49mm filters will fit but this one does and has the added benefit of fitting a lot of Pentax primes.
I also use a 77mm Rapid ND Variable ND filter on a DA* 16-50 which is also a good setup but of course that filter size is more expensive. The 16-50 is a good lens although it may not have the pixie dist the DA 15 has.

DA 15 & 10 stop
07-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For the sake of clarification

Neutral Density Filters act as a light filter and reduce the amount of light to the sensor (across the frame) without changing the WB (good ones do at least). These are used to blur water or even remove moving objects from the scene. They generally aren't though of for use in "sweeping" landscapes.
GRADIENT Neutral Density filters transition from dark to light across the filter. These are used to control the dynamic range of sunset/sunrise type images, where half the image is in shadow and half the image is bright. These are commonly used in "sweeping" landscapes.
CPL (Circular Polarizing) filters are also very commonly used in "sweeping" landscape images to remove glare and get the deeper/darker blue skies. However, CPL don't work very well under about 24mm because the angle of light is too great. You get strange effects on the 10-20 and similar lenses.

Please clarify what your intended use and style is. I'm afraid you may be using the wrong kind of filter. It will also help narrow down recommendations.
07-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IF you really like the 15mm BUT are concerned about flare because the lens hood must be retracted
HERE ARE SOME OPTIONS:

1) get a step up ring, perhaps 49 to 58 AND a 58mm ND filter of your choice AND a rubber 58mm wide angle lens hood (probably $10 for a totally adequate "generic").
2) get a 49mm ND of your choice AND EITHER A) a flexible lens shade of the type that attaches to the lens with a Velcro strap OR BETTER B) a "Flare Buster" which comes with a couple of cards (black sun shade and silver/gold reflector). The cards are held where needed by a flexible arm that has an alligator clip at one end and a hot-shoe foot at the other (which also has a standard 1/4 X 20 female socket underneath to mount the arm on a tripod when using one of the reflector cards). With the arm in the camera's hot-shoe, the black card in the clip, it's very easy to position to card to completely shade the lens, especially if the camera is also on a tripod. If the camera is on a tripod, you can shade the lens from the sun with a hand-held card, or a hat, or your hand. I done all three, and they all work every bit as well as a retractable hood.

Granted any of these solutions may seem a little clumsy, but if you like the 15mm it seems to me pointless to get a different lens for the sake of mounting a filter + hood.
07-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #13
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Options with the DA 15mm

Like MattB I have the 49mm B+W 10 stop ND filter that I've used on the DA15 without issue screwing into the front thread. I don't have expereince with the variable ND filters but they all look larger than a single filter option.

My other filter system for ND's are from the Cokin P square filter system as well as Singh Ray. The Cokin P mount does have an adaptor for 49mm threads, though whether it will fit with the hood I can't say. This is the adaptor here: Cokin "P" Series 49mm Adapter Ring (P449) CP449 B&H As the adaptor is relatively inexpensive it might be worth trying with the hood retracted as this will give you a solution. Due to the design of the adaptor I would expect that it might screw in partially and then the adaptor would be caught by the front of the hood. This might be too loose or sufficient to work without a problem.

An alternative method of using the square ND/Graduated ND filters is to handhold them. I've done this on the 15mm without any major issues but the lens hood does have to be retracted and you have to be mindful of the direction of the light. Blu-tak and similar products have been used by some as a makeshift filter holder though I don't know if it would negatively harm the resin filters.

Another alternative that might work for both the variable ND and the 49mm adaptor for a square system is to buy a cheap 49mm filter of any type and remove the filter to give you the 49mm thread as a blank filter ring. This would screw into the lens and the adaptor or screw-in filter can be screwed into the front of the blank filter ring. This should get you clear of the retracted lens hood. The only caveat is the potential for vignetting.

I'd suggest you consider the above as a cheaper options to replacing the DA15mm as it is a good wide angle lens and whilst I also have the Sigma 10-20mm I would prefer to use the DA15 whenever possible particularly when shooting into the light.

Good luck mate.

Tas
07-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice

I am keeping the 15 mm and ordering the 10 stop ND filter. Great advice. I love my Pentax primes.
To clarify, I want the extra wide lens for landscape work and the ND filter to block out light so I can play with slower shutter speeds. I live in Michigan and i am hoping to take some great shots of Lake Michigan with slower shutter speeds. A graduated filter would be great too for landscapes too.
Thanks again for all the help.
07-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even the cheap under $20 Hoya 49mm HMC - ND 8x FILTER that I have works fine with the hood. I think you just got unlucky on the filter you bought.