Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2016, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #1

1.4x Teleconverter

This is my first post. I am going to purchase a K1 camera, but haven't done so yet. I am now retired and own a nice property with a small lake in east Texas and have decided to try wildlife photography on the property as a hobby. I have an Om-2 SLR that I purchased in the 70's and used all across the country - but I used mainly a wide angle lens for landscape/tourist type photos. I got a Fuji superzoom camera just to get some experience with telephoto lenses, and find that at least with my current ability the longer the better (I am good at scaring the wildlife away).

Anyway I found a used A-400 f5.6 lens in perfect condition and bought it. I am looking for the 1.4x-L teleconverter that goes with it without success so far. My question is does anyone know if there are other 1.4x teleconverter options (like third party) that would also work well with this lens? I think longer than 1.4x would probably not work well given the f5.6 min aperture of my lens.

07-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need a 1.4x-S converter. The 1.4x-L will not fit inside the throat of the lens. My M400 has the same problem, and I went through the hassle and expense of getting a 1.4x-S first. At the moment I am working my way through using the AFA 1.7x converter with my M. The M is the same optics, but without the aperture A setting and a bit longer minimum focal distance.

Here is one shot I took with the M 400 on the 1.7x last Wednesday. The full res JPEG should be accessible from the Flickr image.

07-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Tim,

If you look in the lens review section there are reviews of Pentax and 3rd party TCs

I hope you enjoy your K1, a superb piece of equipment.
07-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim, there are a number of 1.4x TCs that will work with that lens. Generally the problem with most older TCs is that they do not support the SDM motor in modern Pentax glass. But with the Pentax-A 400mm that is not an issue as it is not autofocus anyway. You want to be sure that what you get has the contact pins to allow the camera to operate the aperture of the lens.

Some additional info here:
Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Lens Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Teleconverters (All Brands) - Pentax Lens Review Database

I have used this one: Kenko (?Promaster et al..) AF/Pz-AF 1.4x/1.5x Teleplus.... Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database which comes in a number of variations, some auto focus and some not.

You are correct that TCs longer than 1.4x are problematic. However, some of the good 1.7x ones do work well. Pentax also has a 1.7x AF adapter that converts 'A' type lenses to auto-focus and adds a 1.7x TC. This one is of excellent quality, has the contacts and can if you wish provide limited auto focus. You use the lens focus ring to get close and then the AF adapter will auto focus within a small range to lock in. SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

07-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You need a 1.4x-S converter. The 1.4x-L will not fit inside the throat of the lens. My M400 has the same problem, and I went through the hassle and expense of getting a 1.4x-S first.
This isn't quite right, at least according to the converter manual. The 1.4x-L, as you correctly state, does not fit on the M400, however it does fit on the A400. At least the manual says so. See the bottom left of page two in the manual, link below.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/accessories/converter_a_s.pdf

I went through the same thing as you. Had a M400, acquired a pristine 1.4x-L from KEH . . . and it wouldn't fit. Sent it back. I've since sold the M400 to a collector and just this year, snagged a pretty good copy of the A400. Bummer! 1.4x-L lenses are hard to find now and really expensive. (I have the other three.)
07-27-2016, 04:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might want to try the sigma 1.4x ex TC. But be careful, the rear of the lens requires a minimum opening diameter of 35mm and minimum free depth to the rear element of at least 12mm to fit.

While you won't use AF it at least gives you aperture control. But a word of caution, the contacts are straight through contacts, so aperture reported will be 5.6 wide open, not the true F8. This is not an issue unless you want to use P-TTL flash. For that, whom need to play with the exposure compensation because the camera does the calculations based on an F5.6 lens not F8, and remember PTTL is a predictive flash, where it calculates exposure, as opposed to TTL that terminates flash when it gets the correct light. As a result PTTL does not give correct exposure without compensation, if the apertures are not correct.

And don't think you won't use flash for wildlife, I use it frequently in low light ( in the Forrest for example)
07-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
This isn't quite right, at least according to the converter manual. The 1.4x-L, as you correctly state, does not fit on the M400, however it does fit on the A400. At least the manual says so. See the bottom left of page two in the manual, link below.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/accessories/converter_a_s.pdf

I went through the same thing as you. Had a M400, acquired a pristine 1.4x-L from KEH . . . and it wouldn't fit. Sent it back. I've since sold the M400 to a collector and just this year, snagged a pretty good copy of the A400. Bummer! 1.4x-L lenses are hard to find now and really expensive. (I have the other three.)
Thank you for the information. The L series is much better at the longer focal lengths which, of course, is why I bought the L version only to find it did not fit.

07-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the info

Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I have to do some more homework. The 1.7x converter sounds interesting, I could probably use the extra range. I am used to manual focus having used it for 25 years without problems - but I can see how autofocus would help with moving subjects. My only real experience with autofocus is with my Fuji superzoom. It works great on faces and portraits, but often on something like a duck in the lake it takes four or five tries to get it right - I could have easily manually focused by then. Of course it is a cheap camera and I am sure the K1 can do better. Anyway I would be happy with manual focus, but would like to keep the A setting.

There are some A-1.4x-L converters listed on Amazon, supposedly new. Pretty expensive. I am afraid that things like that are usually returns that have been sold off rather than trying to refurbish them. But it might be an option. Does anyone know anything about them?

Again thanks for your help. I am waiting to purchase the K1 because my experience is that its better to not be an early adopter (let someone else find the bugs), and because it is the middle of summer here in south Texas - and really hard to do anything outside. So I am trying to round up some lenses. But from reading the posts it seems like there are no major issues with the K1 so far, and I am getting the itch to get back into photography with a real camera.