Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #1

Dumped the Sony a7r after lens availability and PRICES looked steeply down

I found that the K mount has an historical base of lenses rivaling Nikon. I could not afford 3.5K in a Nikon so took a Sony a7r that is a terrific camera. However, Sony is committing serious criminal prices on lenses for the camera mount and 3rd party folks are not seeing a large customer base. So, in thinking about it for some time. put all the Sony stuff on Ebay and will get a Pentax K1. It is half the price and the kit lens of 24-105 is very sharp and will make a good start.

I need help in looking at the huge historical base of the Pentax lenses in K mount that are full frame. Often sites do not differentiate APC from full frame. There are some lists but in most cases they are very limited in information about the lenses on the list. Personal opinion goes high with me, and would like to find primes and zooms to cover the territory typical of an advanced amateur guy like me. Not a great photographer but do take pictures sometimes that are good enough to have made some money or were weddings no one else would take.

Thanks. I like personal advice.
Reverend Ray

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT  Photo   
09-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome aboard, rev...

start here for lenses: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
09-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reverendray Quote
I found that the K mount has an historical base of lenses rivaling Nikon. I could not afford 3.5K in a Nikon so took a Sony a7r that is a terrific camera. However, Sony is committing serious criminal prices on lenses for the camera mount and 3rd party folks are not seeing a large customer base. So, in thinking about it for some time. put all the Sony stuff on Ebay and will get a Pentax K1. It is half the price and the kit lens of 24-105 is very sharp and will make a good start.

I need help in looking at the huge historical base of the Pentax lenses in K mount that are full frame. Often sites do not differentiate APC from full frame. There are some lists but in most cases they are very limited in information about the lenses on the list. Personal opinion goes high with me, and would like to find primes and zooms to cover the territory typical of an advanced amateur guy like me. Not a great photographer but do take pictures sometimes that are good enough to have made some money or were weddings no one else would take.

Thanks. I like personal advice.
Reverend Ray
For the historical record, go to the lens reviews here
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
and look at the lenses under the banner "Film Era Pentax K-mount Lenses"
{"Film Era M42 Screwmount Lenses" will work with an adapter}
because "Full Frame" means frame is same size as 35mm film frame.

I don't have a K-1, so someone else will have to point you to current production that will also work.
09-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For starters, any lens that isn't a "DA" lens will cover the full frame circle, including D-FA lenses. Some DA lenses, such as the DA 300mm, will also cover the full frame circle even though they're technically listed as APS-C. There is a thread in the forums that includes a list of DA lenses tested on FF and how they perform. I don't have it handy or I'd provide a link.

The database is a good spot to get impressions on lenses. I have the DF-A 28-105 and it's very good. I've tried the DA 60-250, an excellent lens on APS-C, and it vignettes quite a bit. There is a conversion a lot of folk have done that eliminates the vignetting but I guess I'm too chicken to do it. Beyond that I have a bunch of legacy primes that I really like, including the FA limiteds (31, 43, 77), A50 f1.2 and A 85 f1.4, FA 100 macro, and FA 50 f1.7.

Last edited by jrpower10; 09-27-2016 at 11:50 AM.
09-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reverendray Quote
Often sites do not differentiate APC from full frame
APS-C lenses from Pentax are designated DA, everything that is K-mount compatible but designated something other than DA is full-frame compatible. Most of these lenses are "legacy glass" designed for film cameras. Some DA lenses are also full frame compatible and the best summary of which DA lens are compatible with their limitations is found in the first post of this thread. Modern third party lenses from Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc. don't follow this naming system because it is a Pentax trademark, but in my experience, the lens manufacturers are pretty clear in designating their lenses as APS-C compatible only or not.
09-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax community I am sure you will find a lot of good lenses for your K -1 without breaking the bank.
09-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum!! In terms of lenses there are two major Pentax mounts - the M42 mount (the Pentax screw mount) and the K mount (which encompasses the K, M, A, F, FA, FAJ, DFA which are all full frame, and then the DA an DAL, of which most are cropped, but a few are full frame). If you take a look at the Forum's Lens Database - both the full frame (FF) along with the cropped (ASP-C) are clearly marked. Both the M42 (with an M42 to K mount adapter that runs about $25) and the K mount are supported on all the Pentax K bodies.There are a lot of additional references for Pentax lenses. Here is a post that has collected them pretty much all together.

09-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everyone's already beat me to it, but I intended to answer before I read theirs... I just wanted to participate haha. Welcome to the forum and very nice images by the way.

Look for lenses with these designations:
K
M
A
F
FAJ
FA
FA*
DFA
DA* Primes seem to work great. (DA* 55, DA* 200, DA* 300)
Some DA primes work okay with minor vignetting. (35mm, 50mm, 35ltd, 40ltd, 70ltd)

Beyond that:
Avoid DA-L (crop with plastic mount)
Avoid DA zooms (crop with metal mount)
Avoid DA* Zooms (premium crop lenses with WR and fixed apertures)
Some legacy and current Sigma/Tamron lenses will work great. Some will only work well in Crop mode.
Screwmount lenses need an adapter.

That being said, any K mount lens will work fine in the K1's optional apsc crop mode at 15mpix.
09-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
K
M
A
F
FAJ
FA
FA*
DFA
Some DA primes work okay with minor vignetting. (35mm, 50mm, 35ltd, 40ltd, 70ltd)

Only the ones with an F or D in the name are autofocus. The others are manual focus.
09-28-2016, 02:47 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
For starters, any lens that isn't a "DA" lens will cover the full frame circle, including D-FA lenses. Some DA lenses, such as the DA 300mm, will also cover the full frame circle even though they're technically listed as APS-C. There is a thread in the forums that includes a list of DA lenses tested on FF and how they perform. I don't have it handy or I'd provide a link.

The database is a good spot to get impressions on lenses. I have the DF-A 28-105 and it's very good. I've tried the DA 60-250, an excellent lens on APS-C, and it vignettes quite a bit. There is a conversion a lot of folk have done that eliminates the vignetting but I guess I'm too chicken to do it. Beyond that I have a bunch of legacy primes that I really like, including the FA limiteds (31, 43, 77), A50 f1.2 and A 85 f1.4, FA 100 macro, and FA 50 f1.7.
Thank you very much. After the Sony I have to admit the full frame makes a difference. I appreciate the admice on primes.
09-28-2016, 02:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I don't have a K-1, so someone else will have to point you to current production that will also work.
Thank you veyr much

---------- Post added 09-28-16 at 03:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Thank you......I am feeling much better about this change.
Tom

---------- Post added 09-28-16 at 03:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
APS-C lenses from Pentax are designated DA, everything that is K-mount compatible but designated something other than DA is full-frame compatible. Most of these lenses are "legacy glass" designed for film cameras. Some DA lenses are also full frame compatible and the best summary of which DA lens are compatible with their limitations is found in the first post of this thread. Modern third party lenses from Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc. don't follow this naming system because it is a Pentax trademark, but in my experience, the lens manufacturers are pretty clear in designating their lenses as APS-C compatible only or not.
Tom

---------- Post added 09-28-16 at 03:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Only the ones with an F or D in the name are autofocus. The others are manual focus.
Tom

---------- Post added 09-28-16 at 03:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Tom

---------- Post added 09-28-16 at 03:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Everyone's already beat me to it, but I intended to answer before I read theirs... I just wanted to participate haha. Welcome to the forum and very nice images by the way.

K
M
A
F
FAJ
FA
FA*
DFA

Beyond that:
Avoid DA-L (crop with plastic mount)
Avoid DA zooms (crop with metal mount)
Avoid DA* Zooms (premium crop lenses with WR and fixed apertures)
Some legacy and current Sigma/Tamron lenses will work great. Some will only work well in Crop mode.
Screwmount lenses need an adapter.

That being said, any K mount lens will work fine in the K1's optional apsc crop mode at 15mpix.
Tom
09-28-2016, 03:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

All Pentax lenses are full frame, except for some that are labelled DA or DA L. You can use the lens Search function: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com
Or you can check this thread for test photos with DA lenses on FF, which shows how well they cover the frame: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html

Older lens series are from the film era, and they are all FF (though, they have older lens coatings and fewer functions - some were made decades before FF was invented, for example). Pentax starts with series K (first K-mount series, not actually labelled as "K" on the front of the lens), then M (compact lenses, labelled as M, great value here, especially with the primes), then A (first ones with auto-aperture, which still functions on modern Pentax DSLRs. These still have manual focus, though), then F and FA, which allow full automation on Pentax DSLRs. DA is the first digitally optimized lineup, with lens coatings improved for digital. Some DA lenses are APSC only. DFA is digital full frame.

Welcome to Pentax! Enjoy your lenses, old and new, and post some photos in the appropriate forums
I use some lenses from the 1970s, new DA and DFA glass, and a couple third party lenses as well (some really ancient, and some new)
09-28-2016, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I'll just mention something in a different way.....

1. Auto focus, modern coatings, FF design.... for digital = "DFA" lens designation
2. 2nd generation Autofocus, leading lens coatings for the era, FF.... originally designed for film = "FA" lens designation
3. 1st generation Autofocus, leading lens coatings for the era, FF.... originally designed for film = "F" lens designation
4. Last generation manual focus only, auto aperture setting on lens, 80's to 90's designed for film = "A" lens designation
5 Middle generation manual focus only, NO auto aperture setting on lens, 80's designed for film = "M" lens designation
6. 1st generation manual focus only, NO auto aperture setting on lens, mid 70's to 80's designed for film = "K" lens designation

All the above are K mount lenses. From the first K series lenses in 1975 included Special Multi Coat lens "coatings" so "SMC" designation is used..... so a K lens would be known as SMC K 50/1.2 etc.

DA designated lenses are for crop sensors with modern coatings.... some have a large enough image circle to be of use on a FF camera (when mot croping).
09-28-2016, 05:06 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'll just mention something in a different way.....

1. Auto focus, modern coatings, FF design.... for digital = "DFA" lens designation
2. 2nd generation Autofocus, leading lens coatings for the era, FF.... originally designed for film = "FA" lens designation
3. 1st generation Autofocus, leading lens coatings for the era, FF.... originally designed for film = "F" lens designation
4. Last generation manual focus only, auto aperture setting on lens, 80's to 90's designed for film = "A" lens designation
5 Middle generation manual focus only, NO auto aperture setting on lens, 80's designed for film = "M" lens designation
6. 1st generation manual focus only, NO auto aperture setting on lens, mid 70's to 80's designed for film = "K" lens designation

All the above are K mount lenses. From the first K series lenses in 1975 included Special Multi Coat lens "coatings" so "SMC" designation is used..... so a K lens would be known as SMC K 50/1.2 etc.

DA designated lenses are for crop sensors with modern coatings.... some have a large enough image circle to be of use on a FF camera (when mot croping).
Thanks......I like the condensation of info.....
This forum has been very helpful. I appreciate the help. switching formats after 30 plus years is looking a lot easier.
Tom
09-28-2016, 05:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I can say that almost all Pentax lens are decent, if you want top quality FA* or DFA* or Limited lens will be your way to go, no one has ever complained about those lens if budget is limited, then any other options would do ^^