Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 03:48 AM   #1

Pentax 6x7 105mm 2.4 possible fungus question

Hi there,

I have received a 105mm 2.4 from ebay seller in Japan, who normally describe their lenses in very concise detail. It looked clean, and seller mentioned no fungus, no scratches, no defects etc. but when I look inside the lens I can see dots in internal element.
Is this fungus, and do you think I should return, or settle with compensation? I shoot wide open, so I don't think it'll be noticeable in photos if it's a different issue...
Thank you for any feedback!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
09-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I can't say but the few times I've seen fungus it looked more like a spider web growing outward. But nevertheless, I wouldn't be happy camper having that in my lens.
09-30-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be fungus, could be a little bit of condensation/sublimation leaving some blots at some point in its storage history - a minor optical blemish IMO, nothing that you would really notice in taking pics (maybe a slight loss of contrast)..
09-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks tuco and marcus for that.
I'd like to think it's some minor blemish, and your right, it's not your typical fungus look. They have offered a $50 refund. I've already paid customs and sending things back to Japan and the hassle... it's probably easier to keep it and take refund.

09-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As others have said, this doesn't look like fungus.

How do these spots look when backlit? If the spots are dark and that element surface is near the plane of the aperture, then the spot pattern could show up in the bokeh. Yet the worst of the spots appear to be out of the optical path of the full aperture and the spots are pretty tiny so I'd not expect the effect to be that noticeable unless you like taking pictures of out-of-focus Christmas tree lights.

These spots may also slightly reduce flare resistance, but only if you are shooting directly into the sun.
09-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your photos are reminiscent of "Schneideritis" common to certain Schneider large format lenses. In that case, it is due to light dampening paint flaking from the inside of the lens barrel. At least that is the common explanation. Do a Google image search for "Schneideritis" for examples.

Steve
10-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for all the replies.
When held to the light I can't see any spots or defects. In fact, it's only when held at a certain angle in the right light that it becomes apparent.
Also, the blades are snappy and clean.
I've spoken with seller and he offered $100 refund, which is half what I paid, so I'm happy with that.
Thanks again,
Brian