Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2016, 12:03 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Subjective Lens Buying Experience

Yesterday I was at the camera store. Having the need to buy a camera to replace my destroyed K5 and DA15 lens, I was armed with comparison tests and various reviews in my head. The camera was easy, I just pointed at the K3 II and said I'll take one of those. The lens was not so easy. It went something like this:
  • First I tried on the DA15 which I've owned before except it was an older one. It felt familiar despite slightly different colours on the lens.
  • I then asked to try out the Sigma 10-20 (the newer one with the motor). It was huge and heavy. I didn't like the size or weight of it so I passed on that.
  • I then asked for the 12-24 but it was in the back. So I asked, just for fun, if I could try the 20-40 Limited lens while she searched for the 12-24. That was a mistake. The 20-40 was so nice; balanced; and it felt like a gem in my hands. The zoom ring was perfect. The viewfinder image was brighter than with the Sigma on it. I've never noticed that before. I didn't want to take this lens off but, it's expensive and I have a Sigma 18-50 and Pentax 18-130 so why would I buy a 20-40? Reluctantly I put it back while she arrived with the 12-24.
  • I tried out the 12-24 and it was nice. However I couldn't shake the feeling that if I buy it Pentax should soon bring out a refreshed HD DC version of the 12-24 and I would not be pleased. I am getting tired of the sound of the screwdriver motor.
  • I tried out the DA 16 and then asked for the 20-40 just so I could feel it again. It was still wonderful. Totally inappropriate for me as most images I take are between 15 and 21. I reluctantly put it back again.
  • For kicks she brought out a huge beast of a lens which is likely the new Pentax 70-200. It was one of those with the handle for holding the lens rather than the camera and it cost as much as a reasonable used car. That was fun but nope.
  • For kicks again I tried out the new 55-300 with the pulse motor. It was the lowest priced Pentax lens that I looked at yesterday by at least $200. The image in the viewfinder looked great. I know that that reviews have nothing but great things to say about the lens optics and value and recently I've been thinking it would be nice to have something longer than my 18-130. However the zoom felt terrible. it moved in jumps like the way a wrench feels like when tightening a bold such as a car wheel nut. I couldn't get over that feeling. Sure the price is low but this is something nobody should be selling. I didn't like the fact that the zoom had to be unlocked with a little button but I could get used to that. I couldn't get used to the lurching zoom ring. Maybe this is just a bad copy and I hope so because this will not attract customers to Pentax. It was "just for kicks" anyway so I put it back.
  • Back to the DA15. It was at a good price for a Limited lens and I always enjoyed my old one so I decided to go with that. If the price comes down on the 20-40 I might pick one up. If Pentax updates the 12-24 I might pick one up unless they double the price.
So there you have it. A 45 minute lens ecstasy in the camera store and I walk out with a camera that looks and feels like my old K-5 (that's a good thing) and a lens that is very similar to my old DA 15 SMC. Maybe I'll go back in a few weeks just so I can hold the 20-40 again, (just for a few minutes....).

I didn't say that there was anything of practical value in this post. Just one man's experience in a camera store with money in his pocket.

10-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I look forward to the day I can go equipment shopping so I'll have no guilt about trying this, that and the other. I'll happily spend 1/2 a day playing around. The missus won't be too chuffed though.
10-22-2016, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
Yesterday I was at the camera store. Having the need to buy a camera to replace my destroyed K5 and DA15 lens, I was armed with comparison tests and various reviews in my head. The camera was easy, I just pointed at the K3 II and said I'll take one of those. The lens was not so easy. It went something like this:
  • First I tried on the DA15 which I've owned before except it was an older one. It felt familiar despite slightly different colours on the lens.
  • I then asked to try out the Sigma 10-20 (the newer one with the motor). It was huge and heavy. I didn't like the size or weight of it so I passed on that.
  • I then asked for the 12-24 but it was in the back. So I asked, just for fun, if I could try the 20-40 Limited lens while she searched for the 12-24. That was a mistake. The 20-40 was so nice; balanced; and it felt like a gem in my hands. The zoom ring was perfect. The viewfinder image was brighter than with the Sigma on it. I've never noticed that before. I didn't want to take this lens off but, it's expensive and I have a Sigma 18-50 and Pentax 18-130 so why would I buy a 20-40? Reluctantly I put it back while she arrived with the 12-24.
  • I tried out the 12-24 and it was nice. However I couldn't shake the feeling that if I buy it Pentax should soon bring out a refreshed HD DC version of the 12-24 and I would not be pleased. I am getting tired of the sound of the screwdriver motor.
  • I tried out the DA 16 and then asked for the 20-40 just so I could feel it again. It was still wonderful. Totally inappropriate for me as most images I take are between 15 and 21. I reluctantly put it back again.
  • For kicks she brought out a huge beast of a lens which is likely the new Pentax 70-200. It was one of those with the handle for holding the lens rather than the camera and it cost as much as a reasonable used car. That was fun but nope.
  • For kicks again I tried out the new 55-300 with the pulse motor. It was the lowest priced Pentax lens that I looked at yesterday by at least $200. The image in the viewfinder looked great. I know that that reviews have nothing but great things to say about the lens optics and value and recently I've been thinking it would be nice to have something longer than my 18-130. However the zoom felt terrible. it moved in jumps like the way a wrench feels like when tightening a bold such as a car wheel nut. I couldn't get over that feeling. Sure the price is low but this is something nobody should be selling. I didn't like the fact that the zoom had to be unlocked with a little button but I could get used to that. I couldn't get used to the lurching zoom ring. Maybe this is just a bad copy and I hope so because this will not attract customers to Pentax. It was "just for kicks" anyway so I put it back.
  • Back to the DA15. It was at a good price for a Limited lens and I always enjoyed my old one so I decided to go with that. If the price comes down on the 20-40 I might pick one up. If Pentax updates the 12-24 I might pick one up unless they double the price.
So there you have it. A 45 minute lens ecstasy in the camera store and I walk out with a camera that looks and feels like my old K-5 (that's a good thing) and a lens that is very similar to my old DA 15 SMC. Maybe I'll go back in a few weeks just so I can hold the 20-40 again, (just for a few minutes....).

I didn't say that there was anything of practical value in this post. Just one man's experience in a camera store with money in his pocket.
Forget the lens, I'd like to know how it feels to walk into a camera store and see so much Pentax stuff... The best our camera store can do is to show me pictures of Pentax cameras...
10-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've started it, you'll probably complete that 20-30 purchase in a few months. Enjoy the new stuff, it is an enjoyable post.

10-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone living near a camera store that has both a large inventory and good customer service is blessed. When I lived in LA, I used to frequent Bel-Air Camera in Westwood. Sadly, they shuttered last year after 58 years. They werenʻt the cheapest shop in town, but they had, by West Coast standards, a large inventory and would leave you alone unless you wanted service. Lots of good memories ʻtest driving and kicking tiresʻ as well as buying. I knew I could have gone elsewhere for less, but I think if a place puts up an investment in real estate, inventory, and a knowledgeable staff, itʻs the right thing to pay a bit more for that.

And my #1 reason for wanting to revisit New York City is to spend hours in B&H and Adorama.

Glen, it sounds like you made the practical and well-considered decision in replacing your 15mm prime, and I applaud your discipline in doing so. However, you shouldnʻt ignore all that right brain gut check the 20-40mm gave you. It will haunt you. We usually go in to pick our glass, but if the glass picks you that is really special and the left brain intellect should be told politely to leave you alone because photography is more about feeling, experience, and process than it is intellect, angle of view, and product.

Intellectually it does make sense to wait for 20-40mm to come down in price (although the best glass often keeps going up). Iʻve also had the experience where I had a gut feeling about a specific lens, didnʻt buy it, and then got another copy later....but it didnʻt have the same feeling. Like your 55-300mm zoom mechanics, was it the copy or the design??? The specialness of the 20-40mm could just be the design, but Iʻve also had experiences over the years where it was unique to one copy. Food for thought....
10-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have never been in a store where you can see a piece of Pentax gear, let alone more than one piece. What an experience.
10-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I have never been in a store where you can see a piece of Pentax gear, let alone more than one piece. What an experience.
In that case I feel blessed to have a few shops stocking Pentax within 40 miles. Long may it continue.

10-22-2016, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Mike, put it on your bucket list. Not to downplay Mecca or Jerusalem or any of the Wonders of the World, but anyone that calls themselves a photographer owes it to their LBA souls to pay homage to B&H in NYC. Would love to hear about other incredible shops nominated worldwide. My last trip to New York, I felt obligated to visit the B&H brick and mortar and went into a time warp where fours hours felt like 10 minutes and they were kicking me out at 7:00 because they were closing for the evening.

The closest thing I got to seeing more cameras and lenses than I had time for was a trip to Japan. In California, I think Samyʻs Camera in LA has the largest Pentax inventory.
10-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
[*]I then asked to try out the Sigma 10-20 (the newer one with the motor). It was huge and heavy. I didn't like the size or weight of it so I passed on that..
Unless I'm looking at the wrong specs, the Sigma 10-20mm and the Pentax 12-24mm are the same size...approximately 3.5x3.5 inches. Subjective indeed!
10-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Unless I'm looking at the wrong specs, the Sigma 10-20mm and the Pentax 12-24mm are the same size...approximately 3.5x3.5 inches. Subjective indeed!
The Pentax 12-24mm is about 1/10" smaller in both length and diameter than the Sigma 10-20mm and lighter at 431g vs. 520g. The Pentax has a 77m filter thread vs. the Sigmaʻs 82mm. A 20% weight difference in my opinion would be noticeable.
10-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You are right about the 20~40. I love mine.
10-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Glen! About that 20-40 Limited.... Pentax Black Friday specials not that far off.
10-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Subjective Indeed

Wow I didn't know that our local camera store was so special or unique for stocking Pentax. Perhaps I should have known because there is another shop here with one location that carries little if any Pentax product. McBain's camera has pointed out that Pentax is their least popular of all the major brands yet they still carry pretty much all of the lenses. It was fun and I'm still tempted to exercise my 7 day exchange period for the 20-40. I went out today to try it all out the new K3 II and the new DA 15 and almost immediately found myself putting the 18-50 back on as the 15 was too wide. It's not a walk around lens, but a great one for when it is needed. As for the weight and size of the Sigma 10-20 vs Pentax 12-24, it felt and looked very significant. Perhaps a lens is like some people, it's not the actual weight that matters so much as how you carry it.
10-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll give another thumbs up for the 20-40. Smooth and light! Love how it feels. One day I'll join the 15LTD club...
10-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quite the conundrum. You really researched things well, so I doubt we can give you more definitive answers. Only thing I can say, as a wide angle shooter, is to maybe look at the Samyang primes. Samyang makes affordable 10mm, 14mm, 16mm, 20mm, 24mm and 35mm primes, with fast aperture and sharp optics! They have A mode, but no AF. And they are rather big, at least compared to Pentax primes. The underlined ones are FF compatible, others APSC. Just saying, if you shoot mostly wide angle (or astrophoto!), you might want to try these. I really enjoy the 14mm, it is sharp and gives me great photos. At f8, I practically never even have to adjust focus since I learned where hyperfocal is. But it is very sharp even wide open.

I doubt the HD DA 15mm will disappoint you, though

Edit: And yes, that 20-40mm lens really is something. I do not own one, but had the chance to test it out and it really is a joy to use. There is also the DFA 15-30mm, which according to reviews is amazing, but big and expensive. I did not yet have a chance to test this one

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-22-2016 at 05:40 PM.