Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Diagnosis request

I need some expert opinion abut what you can see in these images? Fungus, other issues?

Attached Images

10-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, (quite a lot of) fungus.
I saw this FA 85 and decided to pass. part of the reason was, seller described the lens as very good and works "normally" and didn't talk about fungus at all. If one was exited to the price and jumped in, the fungus will be a big surprise.
I saw many seller from Japan (sorry!, but it is true) describing their lenses with fungus as "excellent". so check the photos carefully.
10-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I saw many seller from Japan (sorry!, but it is true) describing their lenses with fungus as "excellent". so check the photos carefully.
Interesting. For many of the Japanese lenses with fungus I've seen, the sellers admit to the fact ("It has a small fungus").
10-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Definitely a fungus Željko, but might be quite cleanable. SMC coatings can withstand a lot and a bit of fungus usually leaves no trace after cleaning. On the front lens, it is quite easy to do it but in the back it looks a bit tricky from this angle. Never had the lens in my hands but I would definitely clean it and use it if it was a good deal money wise. If it was expensive, send the thing back if you can get a full refund.

Regards,

Marko

Last edited by Audi 5 cyl; 10-27-2016 at 01:28 PM.
10-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought one with fungus recently, and sent it out for cleaning. On the elements that were cleaned, I can still see sign of fungus. I don't think they affect much, but are visible.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
For many of the Japanese lenses with fungus I've seen, the sellers admit to the fact ("It has a small fungus").
Sure! I am not saying "All" or "most" sellers. But some of them use "excellent" for lenses have good cosmetic conditions, regardless the fungus or foggy. And they usually show the issue either in the photos and/or in the description. -- this seller didn't hide the issue in the photos.
10-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The price was about half of what you usually see on ebay and here on the forum. Honestly, I would not even try cleaning it on my own, and I don't know anyone in 500 kilometer radius that works with Pentax lenses. It would be a bad choice for a first time disassembly and cleaning project... I cancelled the order

Thank you all for your opinion and advice.

As pathdoc wrote, sellers would usually write in the description that there is "small fungus" or something. This was listed as "Normal operation" and "some small scratch on body".
10-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Wise move.

For something which normally goes for a very high price, a dirt cheap bargain is usually a trap. Sometimes you can strike it lucky (and I have, a few times), but more often... nope. You have to know what you're doing and what to look for, and how you are going to deal with the worst that can happen if stuff got misrepresented.

10-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to update, I got a full refund and the lens is available again.

This is not my usual behavior, I usually do a LOT of research before buying... I guess that FA 85 enchanted me or something