Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sydney, Australia, Pentaxians... where best to buy used glass?

I'm planning a trip in late February next year, will be there for a week for business and pleasure - general location close to CBD or Greater Sydney area and near public transport would be good, as will be visiting from overseas, will have family with me, and not driving.

I already know where the major CBD stores for new gear are. Been there, done that.

Cheers, PD.

10-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lucky you! I have no idea, but man I pine to go back to Australia. Sydney was so much fun, I think my favourite parts were the botanical gardens and the observatory. Bring thee a wide lens!
10-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #3

Welcome to Australia, we have the best beaches, the greatest climate - if you ignore flies - and the friendliest disposition of any country in the world.

Apart from occasional used camera fairs, I find your best pickings are local online forums such as Gumtree.com.au and Australian Pentax buy and sell in Facebook.
10-27-2016, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think the Canadians have you beat for friendly disposition these days. Being an Aussie who emigrated to Canada, I speak from some experience.

I don't think I'd be in Oz long enough to benefit from the online stuff - arranging logistics for pickup could be a bit tricky!

As for wide lenses, I have the DA15 and I also have a 17mm film-era Tokina if I end up bringing a film body or a K-1. I am intending to take my kids on board HMAS Vampire in Darling Harbour, and from previous experience on HMS Belfast in London back in 1995 I know you cannot have a wide enough (rectilinear) lens when it comes to museum-warship tours.

10-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any Japanese sellers on eBay. Every item I have bought from them are actually better than the rating they gave them. I also highly recommend Robert Cameras and Henry's both eBay sellers.
10-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #6

Here's a selection of what's available in Sydney via Gumtree.com.au .You can usually offer around 25% less and settle around 15% off the asking price.
pentax in Inner Sydney, NSW | Lenses | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds
10-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something to look at whils tyou wait for the real locals to chime in

G'day PD,

I can't say I know Sydney well enough to really assist but have some links that might be worth checking to start with.

Kudos Cameras

Demo & Used Equipment - Page 1 - Camera Lane

For future trips I'd recommend Melbourne if you're considering second hand camera kit. I've not been there in a while but there used to be a couple of stores with good used sections on or near Elizabeth St in the city. No doubt Sydney has something to offer if you try dropping p38arover or disco_owner a PM, both these guys are in Sydney.

Tas

10-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hit camera lane up earlier this year and walked away with good stuff. I would happily go there and bleed my wallet dry again, but the conference I travel to Oz for has relocated to Sydney this coming year and I must follow. No time for side trips.
10-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I don't think I'd be in Oz long enough to benefit from the online stuff - arranging logistics for pickup could be a bit tricky!
Sellers on Gumtree will often arrange to meet in the inner city.
10-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Super8 on King St in Newtown. Newtown is the hipster neighbourhood of Sydney so it's worth visiting even if you have no interest in cameras. Better still send the family off to have coffee and/or explore while you spend some time here:
Smile Please - Sydneysuper8mm - About | Facebook