Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

F* 300/4.5 front lens element cracked.

Need a new front lens element for my F* 300 4.5...
Prestine condition lens so I really would like to get hold of a new element. Would that be even possible?
Thanks for any hints,
Mats

01-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Your best bet is another used F* 300.

Yet I'd be concerned that whatever cracked the front element may have damaged or decentered other parts of the lens.

Good luck!
01-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks.

It hurts...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
01-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Is that crack producing a noticeable effect on your images? It's near the edge of the lens; might not affect
anything unless you're pointed right at a strong light source. Of course, what photoptimist said about
decentering, etc, might be a bigger concern.

01-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
Thanks.

It hurts...
Ouch!

But it's not as bad as I feared. It looks like it's at the lower edge of the lens which would be entirely out of the optical path even on the K-1. The only nasty issue with a crack at the bottom is if the sun or bright light can hit that part of the lens, the flare could be quite ugly. But if you use the lens with a good hood and don't point it at the sun, it should be all right.

Have you checked for any evidence of decentering (e.g., point the camera & lens at a frame-filling scene like a bookshelf, building facade, or the stars and look for evidence that the edges or corners have asymmetric softness)?
01-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, or.. I mean no, it´s not that bad as nothing shows in the images. Lens works just fine and the crack is way out of the optic path and nothing shows in terms of softness or such. Such a shame on this fine baby. Really hoping for a miracle to find a front element here.

Edit: Thanks for input DC, I guess I´ll have to live with the crack but as I said, It hurts..
01-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you are the 3rd one here wants a front element for F/FA 300/4.5: transam879, me and you
Mine is worse than yours but the lens still takes good photos.
The glass is cracked but still holds in the position at this time. But if you take it off, the broken piece will very likely fall off and not possible to put back on the donor lens.

01-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I think you are the 3rd one here wants a front element for F/FA 300/4.5: transam879, me and you
The glass is cracked but still holds in the position at this time. But if you take it off, the broken piece will very likely fall off and not possible to put back on the donor lens.
Just out of curiosity, chipped/cracked auto windshields are repaired with superglue. If the element were removed and the broken piece falls off, is it possible to glue it back in place with superglue?

---------- Post added 01-19-17 at 02:51 PM ----------

If you really feel the need to replace the glass, I'd suggest you follow ebay for a non-working F or FA 300mm lens. They are hard to find but I did see 1 over the last year or two.
01-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Thanks Graham. So, I´m not alone then. See if we can find three pieces of glass...
01-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Really hoping for a miracle to find a front element here
I currently have an FA 300 that is somewhat soft wide open, the glass throughout the lens is excellent. I originally bought it to replace my cracked front element on my F 300 but ended up getting the DA 300 instead. So I have the F and FA both in storage, waiting to do something with them.
01-19-2017, 02:30 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good grief. Is there anything you don't know about lenses?
01-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The ED element is presumably even lower, so you'd want to use one of the special low dispersion adhesives Norland makes, but they might be harder to find in small quantities.
Ummm...yea yea. That's what I was going to say but you beat me to it

---------- Post added 01-19-17 at 05:32 PM ----------

Prestine condition lens so I really would like to get hold of a new element. Would that be even possible?
I've got an F*300 in excellent condition. You can have my front element for $950

01-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
You can have my front element for $950
Now I see what "bad guy" meas.
01-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
How to stop buying them?
YEAH right
01-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a "different" idea. Maybe you could just paint over that small section with black paint. That will eliminate lens flair caused by the crack. It will make the wide open bokeh a little different though. Just a thought....