Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Samsung 12-24 ED Zenon same as Pentax 12-24 f4

Does anybody have any experience with the Samsung version of the 12-24mm lens? From appearances they are the same lens with a different color ring, different nameplate and different grip texture. Any thoughts?

10-21-2009, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Same! 100%
10-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely the same except for the cool blue ring instead of the cool green ring on the lens. I have it and it is a wonder.
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

exactly the same, just cosmetic differences, but the build, optics and coatings are identical.

i have a samsung 12-24/4 and a 35/2 and they're great!

05-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #5

Thanks all for this. I just picked up a Samsung 12-24 mm listed as "Samsung and Sony compatible" :-) for 230 EUR. Very happy with it so far.
05-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
Does anybody have any experience with the Samsung version of the 12-24mm lens?
From appearances they are the same lens with a different color ring, different nameplate and different grip texture.
Any thoughts?
I own it and also used the Pentax version.
Optically and mechanically they are identical.
This question has been asked quite often since 2007:
Samsung lenses for Pentax
Samsung D-Xenon Schneider lenses
Samsung Schneider-Kreuznach lenses?
Pentax / Samsung -- identical twins?
Anyone has experience with Samsung 12-24/4 lens?
what about samsung lenses
Samsung 12-24mm Quickshift Focus
Samsung 12-24mm F4 D-Xenon - SMC??
Samsung Schneider 12-24mm f/4 ED AL D-Xenon
Pentax 12-24 and Samsung dito - any difference?
Samsung D-Xenon 1:4 12-24mm lens
Samsung Lenses?
Pentax vs Samsung
05-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

As Angerdan has said, they are the same, badge engineering. I've got one , a Pentax version. Had it for years and what an excellent lens it is. During the summer months, pre covid, it was rarely off my K5. Used this combo to take pix of vintage vehicles...cars, trucks, motorcycles. In some cases almost gave a 3D look to the pix.

Some years ago, I believe I read (might of been a British magazine) that Pentax developed this lens in concert with Schneider of Germany. Whether this is the case, I don't know for sure, but I do know that it is an excellent lens and I've formed that opinion, after taking many thousands of images with this fine lens.

05-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
As Angerdan has said, they are the same, badge engineering. I've got one , a Pentax version. Had it for years and what an excellent lens it is. During the summer months, pre covid, it was rarely off my K5. Used this combo to take pix of vintage vehicles...cars, trucks, motorcycles. In some cases almost gave a 3D look to the pix.

Some years ago, I believe I read (might of been a British magazine) that Pentax developed this lens in concert with Schneider of Germany. Whether this is the case, I don't know for sure, but I do know that it is an excellent lens and I've formed that opinion, after taking many thousands of images with this fine lens.
The DA 12-24 is actually a Tokina design.
05-21-2021, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The DA 12-24 is actually a Tokina design.
I don't agree. That is the first I've heard of that.

Hoya bought Pentax and also owned Tokina. My understanding is that there are a number of Pentax designs that were also used, branded...as the after market Tokina lens brand by Hoya, during their Pentax ownership. The Tokina versions had Nikon/Canon mounts.

This practice ceased when Pentax was bought by Ricoh.
05-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hoya bought Pentax and also owned Tokina. My understanding is that there are a number of Pentax designs that were also used, branded...as the after market Tokina lens brand by Hoya, during their Pentax ownership. The Tokina versions had Nikon/Canon mounts.

Tokina got the 16-50 & 50-135 from Pentax, the Tokina versions didn't have SDM. Tokina also got the 35/2.8 Macro. The 12-24 was Tokina lens rebadged by Pentax.
05-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Tokina got the 16-50 & 50-135 from Pentax, the Tokina versions didn't have SDM. Tokina also got the 35/2.8 Macro. The 12-24 was Tokina lens rebadged by Pentax.
Not my understanding according to an article I read when the 12-24 came out. It was very detailed.
05-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not my understanding according to an article I read when the 12-24 came out. It was very detailed.
The Tokina AT-X Pro SD 12-24mm F4 (IF) DX came out in 2004, the DA didn't come out until 2005.

Quoting the site that shall not be named

QuoteQuote:
Tokina clearly cooperates very closely with Pentax (and its parent company Hoya), and even a cursory glance at the respective lens lineups shows many designs in common. The Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL (IF) shares many of its vital statistics with the Tokina, and appears to use an essentially identical optical design, although in a lighter body styled similarly to mid-range zooms such as the 17-70mm F4. It therefore seems likely that the performance of these two 12-24mm lenses will be very similar.
05-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago someone claimed that Tokina held the patent for the lens design in Japan, and since I don't read Japanese, I took their word for it.
05-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Tokina AT-X Pro SD 12-24mm F4 (IF) DX came out in 2004, the DA didn't come out until 2005.
Exactly.
You can expect that the patent holder put his lens on the market first.
Tokina for pentax - PentaxForums.com
Pentax/Tokina- what's the deal ? - PentaxForums.com

With the D FA* 50mm f1.4 things changed - pentax developed it and Tokina had to wait until it presented it as Opera 50mm.
Ricoh public DFA*50/1.4 patent in Japan - PentaxForums.com
Is the D FA* 50/1.4 a Pentax/ Ricoh design or a Tokina design? - PentaxForums.com
05-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the way I remember it. The Tokina branded actually had a better build quality than the original Pentax design, and was marketed to Nikon and Canon owners. The original Pentax design of this lens was a bit short on the build quality compared to the Tokina, but in lab tests slightly outperformed the Tokina, perhaps due to superior coatings. It is too bad seeing it now discontinued, and with no replacement offered, and now none comparable from 3rd party brands are offered for Pentax.

I think a deal with Sigma for a Pentax rebranding of their very fine 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC would be a great thing for Pentax DSLR users. But the fact of this big swing over to mirrorless has caused a huge reduction in overall DSLR lens production. This makes a replacement by Ricoh/Pentax even more important. As it is, only the very expensive DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 is there for Pentax APS-C owners.