Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2016, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #1

B&H keeps re-subscribing me to the e-mail newsletters.

I have been using B&H for close to 20 years, first by placing orders over the phone, then online. (I remember Henry answering questions in Usenet groups.) As a matter of fact, my first Pentax SLR, ZX-5n, was most likely purchased from B&H.
(I don't remember for sure, as I was choosing between B&H, Adorama, and Camera World of Oregon, while that was independent].)

With ALL stores and websites, I am very diligent not to opt-in to any e-mail lists, with only a handful of exceptions. (And I've been dealing with lots of places, not only for private purchases, but also for work-related ones.)
And I've already stopped buying anything from a few companies that kept spamming me.

B&H keeps re-subscribing me to their unsolicited commercial e-mails - UCE (aka SPAM).

Just a short history:
After placing an order on 07/19/2012 (it was placed on the phone, because there was a weird price change while I was placing the order online), I started receiving UCE from B&H.
After unsubscribing, I have e-mail confirmation:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:11:52 -0400 (EDT) - "... This message is to confirm that you have been unsubscribed from the B&H
Newsletter mailing list. .."

Past many orders in-between, fast-forward to December 2015.
I placed an order on December 9, 2015 (online)
Next day, I received a price-drop alert for an item in my wishlist (I didn't request that alert), and then 2 more messages still in December, and one message in January.
Between March and June, I received the total of 3 messages, and then, I've been bombarded in July: Between July 13 and today (July 27), I received 7 messages.

When I went to unsubscribe (via my B&H online account preferences), - I found that I was subscribed to almost all categories of e-mails - close to two dozens (except for 2 or 3 categories). Not that it matters, but there were categories to which I would never consciously be interested in.
When I unsubscribed from all of them, I got the confirmation screen that informed me that I had been subscribed on December 9, 2015.

So, either B&H just automatically subscribed me following my December 9, 2015 order, despite my prior preferences, or there was an option to subscribe sneaked in somewhere in the process of placing the order.. Both are bad.

So, I would like to hear from Henry or Chuck why this happens, and why B&H keeps spamming its customers.

07-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
B&H Photo Representative

I'm very sorry for your dissatisfaction. I can help, but not from this forum. Email henryp@bhphoto.com. include the specific email address which is receiving the unwanted attention from us. I will ask our mail manager to delete and block it.
09-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
StR

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
I'm very sorry for your dissatisfaction. I can help, but not from this forum. Email henryp@bhphoto.com. include the specific email address which is receiving the unwanted attention from us. I will ask our mail manager to delete and block it.
Henry,

I appreciate your quick response and readiness to take care of my specific email address. {*}
(Sorry, some circumstances prevented me from a quick followup.)

However, my question is "why this sneaky subscription happens?".

And since it has happened to me twice, it is rather unlikely it was just a glitch. Hence, the bonus question: Do you think B&H is doing "the right thing" in that?

PS. {*} I've found that if a business "manually blocks" my e-mail address, then often, useful e-mail-related functions such as order confirmation, etc. also stop working. So, I became rather reluctant going that route unless that's the "last resort",. And I'd rather see businesses that I deal with doing the right thing.
I had unsubscribed again prior to posting my message, back in July. Since B&H is on my vendor's list for photo and computer gear (for home and work), I am truly hoping I will not be re-subscribed next time I place an order. Can you support my hope?
09-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #4
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by StR Quote
I am truly hoping I will not be re-subscribed next time I place an order. Can you support my hope?
When you place an order there's an opt-out option for this. All you have to do is enable it.

Attached Images

09-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
StR

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
When you place an order there's an opt-out option for this. All you have to do is enable it.
I appreciate that pointer, at least, I know now where that re-subscription sneaks in.

I still think it is wrong.
Besides the fact that opt-out is never a good model for any mailing lists, the account profile already has "Update Email Subscription". So, why do I need to reconfirm my choice every time while placing the order?
To me, that's a lack of respect to your customers. How many "No" should be said to mean "NO!"?!

And what about phone orders? Do I need to remember to say "no" each time? And to what else that I haven't discovered yet should I say "no"?

How about "Yes means yes"?! (in the meaning similar to California's SB 967)
09-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by StR Quote
I've found that if a business "manually blocks" my e-mail address, then often, useful e-mail-related functions such as order confirmation, etc. also stop working. So, I became rather reluctant going that route unless that's the "last resort".
We can block your email address for ONLY the emails you've complained about without having any effect on the order and shipping confirmation emails you want to continue. To put this into effect I still need to know the relevant email.
12-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
StR

Original Poster
Kudos for listening to the feedback and doing the Right Thing (tm).

Henry,

I just placed an order, and was pleasantly surprised that now it is an "opt-in" rather than an "opt-out" option. And it appears after the order is placed, so one doesn't have to watch for it to sneak in, as it was before.

I think B&H made a good decision/change that returns my confidence about B&H to the previous level.
I can tell you that the previous practice, when I discovered it, made me rather reluctant to make purchases from B&H, and it was a combination of availability and pricing that affected my decision for my today's purchase. The change in question made it easier for me, and I am looking forward to future purchases from B&H.

Thank you!