Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sudden issues with contaminated C-41 developer?

Hello! I have been developing C-41 at home with the Unicolor kit for a while now, but only started having issues when I started developing Portra 160 in 120. Last time I tried it, which was the first time doing 120, I ended up pouring spoiled dev back into the bottle (I know it was spoiled halfway through pouring, since it was RED(!?))

So, I tested a film strip and had no effect. I decided to clean out the bottle, the daylight tank, and everything the developer touches. Then I mixed up some more developer.

Onto another roll of Portra. It developes fine, as I'd expect it to with new developer. I decided to pour the developer into a bowl to make sure I don't spoil all my chemicals this time. But when I poured it out, it came out bright red as well, despite the cleaning of everything.

So, I'm now really confused and looking for suggestions. Thanks!

11-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I've used the Unicolor Kit before. I don't recall the developer color after using it. But I wouldn't be too worried about the color. The film soaking in it can change its color. I'd be more concerned about the age of the mix, the number of rolls processed and the amount of air in the bottles it's stored in.
11-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That was also part of why I threw out the last stuff. I got 22 rolls when the kit was rated for 15. THis latest stuff, I suppose I'll shoot and process a test roll real quick in the separate, colored dev. I didn't realise that the color could change depending on the film.
11-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Proceeding with caution is a good idea. I checked my color bottle and it has some surely expired developer in it and it's a dull amber color. Is your developer's red color about the same red as the blix?

11-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Proceeding with caution is a good idea. I checked my color bottle and it has some surely expired developer in it and it's a dull amber color. Is your developer's red color about the same red as the blix?
Kinda? It's a mix of bright red and amber.
11-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That does sound unusual.
11-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Scanning the first roll with the newest chemicals, from before the issues, (it turned red with this roll) I have noticed pretty odd issues. It didn't quite develop right... Odd color shifts, (slightly blue in the dark areas) despite the time and agitation being the same way as instructed.

AndiHSenior FILM
by Duncan McAfee, on Flickr