Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

Old reloadable 35mm canisters, safe to use?

Hi -

I've been going through my old film processing stuff and I found a bunch of reloadable film canisters. They're well over 40 years old They have been stored in old screw-top Kodak aluminum cans. Most are metal Kodak brand but I have a few plastic (originally bought to use in a Leica iiic that was stolen from my car at college).

My concern is that the felt (or velvet whatever was used for light sealing) might have deteriorated and will scratch the film. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I don't want to buy a roll of bulk film (it's pretty expensive these days) and ruin it with scratches from the canisters.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks...

BTW - I really enjoy this forum...there seems to be a lot of really knowledgeable people here.

02-06-2016, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you just get a single roll of not-bulk film, extract it from the cartridge, and feed it into the reloadable one to test it out? That would be a lot cheaper than investing in bulk.
02-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Great idea.

Anybody have any other suggestions???
02-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
If the flocking looks deteriorated, I'd look for scraps of felt at a crafts supply store to replace it.

02-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote
I've been going through my old film processing stuff and I found a bunch of reloadable film canisters. They're well over 40 years old They have been stored in old screw-top Kodak aluminum cans. Most are metal Kodak brand but I have a few plastic (originally bought to use in a Leica iiic that was stolen from my car at college).
I collect those canisters. Most of the ones I have are from 35mm and 120 Agfa and Kodak films, I also have heaps of those reusable 35mm canisters. The above advice is accurate, the felt flocking should be free of debris, If it isn't: replace it. The canisters should be fine to use. Bulk film loading with these canisters can be tricky, but a worthwhile skill to learn.
02-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The original material used to screen out light from a reusable canister will not scratch film, but it certainly can cause light leaks and I would not use those cassettes. I have seen DIY replacement attempts to scratch film, and usually that's due to how it is was fixed to the cassette. New reloadable cassettes cost less than $1.50 at most places and I would not try to save money bulk loading and using questionable cassettes. You'll just end up wasting film, your time, and possibly have a few special shots fogged.
02-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once or twice reloadable cassettes scratched my bulk loaded film.
On examination I found a sharp spot in the light baffle material.

New cassettes have gotten more expensive and are harder to find now.
Before re-use look closely and run your finger along the flocking.

Chris

02-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Back when I used bulk load film, I would test the felt light seals in my canisters to see if they were worn out and scratching my film. I would cut up a chunk of clear plastic from a "blister pack" package the width of film. I would slip it into the open end of the cartridge and squeeze the felt slot closed with my fingers and pull the plastic out. It was easy to see if there was any scratching or scuffing. At that time I never considered re-felting the canister, I just retired it. I guess nowadays, they are rare enough to be worth re-felting. I think I must still have a couple boxes of those sitting around in storage somewhere...