Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Vivitar series 1 project anyone?
Posted By: Skodadriver, 02-06-2016, 07:21 AM

Would a forum member like a dismantling and cleaning project?
I have a VIVITAR SERIES 1 (KIRON MADE) 70-210mm F3.5 that has all glass badly affected by fungus. It seems to be fine in other respects.

The good news is that I will give it away to someone who fancies dismantling and cleaning it up for use.

The bad news is that it is in the UK and while I might pay a courier delivery charge for local U.K. mainland delivery, I am not prepared to pay to send it anywhere else.
Further bad news is that the mount is Canon FD (breech lock) but maybe someone has an suitable adapter or can even graft a Pentax mount on to it.

So if you are a fan of this lens and can do the refurbishment business, message me and we can sort something out.

Attached Images

Views: 3,916
02-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why bother? It would likely cost less to just buy a good one in K-mount.
02-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A fungusy non-amazing zoom in the wrong mount? I think I'd try giving it away for parts purposes on a Canon forum that's got a local focus, based on what you've shared here.
02-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I guess the poster should apologize for wasting your time (sarcasm intended)

02-06-2016, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No good deed goes unpunished.

---------- Post added 02-06-16 at 04:59 PM ----------

Take it apart your self .I t is easy enough. And clean it with acetone the alcohol. Using q-tips of coarse.
02-06-2016, 03:30 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why bother? It would likely cost less to just buy a good one in K-mount.
A forum member is offering up a free lens and all you can do is rain on his parade? That's disgraceful. I guess this earns me a "boriscleto'd", right?

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
A fungusy non-amazing zoom in the wrong mount? I think I'd try giving it away for parts purposes on a Canon forum that's got a local focus, based on what you've shared here.
That's a harsh opening statement. It's free, I think the OP has been generous offering it anywhere... though you're right that it may garner more interest on a Canon forum...

EDIT: @Skodadriver - thanks for offering the lens, that's a nice thing to do and deserves friendlier responses. If it was in K mount, I'd jump at the chance as I'm in the UK too. However, the registration distance is considerably less on the FD mount, so it wouldn't be an easy / worthwhile conversion for me, personally. But thanks for offering it - maybe someone here is also a Canon user and will be able to make use of the lens.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-06-2016 at 03:42 PM.
02-06-2016, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #7

I have to come to the defense of this lens. I own a nice clean copy and I use it frequently. It's in my 4 or 5 lens kit that I keep with me most of the time - with my K20D.

It's actually a pretty amazing lens if you think about it. It was a pretty unique design and was highly regarded when it came out in the mid 70s, and it has held up well - to the point that it can still hold its own against modern lenses that cost 10 times - or more - what you'll pay for a clean copy today.

I'm a little biased as I tend to prefer manual focus lenses, but I also like good results, and this lens delivers. So much so - for me - that it has caused / allowed me to sell a couple of modern lenses because I didn't use them enough to justify keeping them (one being the Pentax 55-300mm). I simply prefer this lens.

It's very sharp, especially stopped down just 1/2 stop. It also has amazing colors and contrast that rivals some good primes I've used. The macro function isn't bad either.

It is old, heavy, and all manual, but it's also well built and smooth to operate. It's also a verifocal design and not a true zoom - which does take some getting used too - but also contributes to its great optical properties. In the end though, it can produce stunning results for those who will take the time to work with it.

You can check out some user reviews in the lens review database. Most are very positive.

Vivitar Series 1 (Version 1 - Kiron 22xxxx) 70-210mm f/3.5 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I am just a hobby photographer. I wasn't really into shooting film, and I never used one of these in their "prime" - so I'm not biased in that respect. I've only used it for the last 8 years or so on my digital pentax bodies. I do have other lenses in this focal range (one is a DA lens) that I use for specific tasks - but if I have the time to set up the shot, and don't have to rush - I'll choose this one over the others.

If I were in the UK and had a Canon that this would work on - I'd definitely be interested. Also, it would probably be fun to mess with - just to see how it works...

Thanks for the offer, and I hope you find a good home for it!

02-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Have a go at cleaning it yourself, these are great old lenses.

I have one of these in OM mount and used it a fair bit on my Oly E-3, but the fungus has grown fairly badly like your example.
My plan is to sit down and carefully take it apart and try to give it a clean one day when no-one is home to annoy me (rare with wife and kids)
02-07-2016, 04:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
My thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I shall take the advice given and either try and dismantle the lens to clean it.....(after I purchase a good set of precision screwdrivers and check out http://www.boggys.co.uk/page37.html ........or try and find a Canon fan that might be interested in doing the business.
02-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
My thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I shall take the advice given and either try and dismantle the lens to clean it.....(after I purchase a good set of precision screwdrivers and check out http://www.boggys.co.uk/page37.html ........or try and find a Canon fan that might be interested in doing the business.
I recommend a set of Vessel TD-56 screwdrivers - they're excellent quality and great to use. Not too expensive either. I bought mine here, a UK supplier, but you can get them even cheaper if you order from Japan.

I had a look at Boggy's site, and loved the quote on his "About Me" page:

"I'm getting old, which when you stop and think about it is much better than the only other realistic alternative."

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-07-2016 at 11:34 PM.
02-10-2016, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Take it apart your self .I t is easy enough. And clean it with acetone the alcohol. Using q-tips of coarse.
*RAGE ALERT* *RAGE ALERT*

DO NOT USE ACETONE!!!! it will destroy the lens coating
02-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

READ the second part ,then clean with alcohol