Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 and eye-fi card

I have this combo and they just do not want to play together. The eye-fi card works perfectly on my Kx and did on my K7.

On the K5 it is just not recognized. All I get is card error. Will not format.

Anyone else have a K5 and an Eye-fi card? If so did you get the same result or is it just my camera?

10-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It's not compatible.....yet. I recall the same thing with (I think) the K7, and it was corrected in firmware.
10-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Banned

This is one of the reasons I may get the Canon 60D instead of the K-5 since I have the 8GB Pro X2 card for my Canon SX30 IS that works great in it. The 60D is Eye-Fi connected like the SX30 IS.

Is the Eye-Fi card compatible with my camera? | Eye-Fi
10-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

FYI, don't be too hasty. The first firmware update is already (rumored) to be announced. It's been posted on the Japan page, and translated here. Check the rumors forum. They may have more info.

10-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
It's not compatible.....yet. I recall the same thing with (I think) the K7, and it was corrected in firmware.
Yes you are right, not sure if it did not work and then did after a firmware update or if it worked all the time and it was just that eye-fi had not confirmed it and added the K7 to their list of cameras.

Will report back after the first firmware update.
10-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So I have a question. I have never heard of this Eye-Fi card but from what I can gather, you put this into a camera (a Kx in my case), take some photos and you can upload to flickr directly from your camera as long as you are close to a wi-fi hot spot? Or how does it work?
10-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Here the compar page on Eye Fi. Not yet on the list
Pentax Compatibility Table | Support

And you need to contact support of Eye Fi not Pentax

10-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
So I have a question. I have never heard of this Eye-Fi card but from what I can gather, you put this into a camera (a Kx in my case), take some photos and you can upload to flickr directly from your camera as long as you are close to a wi-fi hot spot? Or how does it work?
It works in 2 ways.

Your files are automatically uploaded to your home computer as they are taken or as soon as the card detects that you are in range of your home computer. You can also link to an Ipad so you can view your pictures a few seconds after taking them, useful when you wish to check focus or composition.

You can also set the card to upload the pictures to many popular hosting websites as well as your home PC.

You can also on the newer cards set up "endless memory" which after a certain capacity (set by you) the card will delete pictures as new ones are added, starting with the oldest.
10-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Better go directly on the Eye Fi page, different card do different function

Eye-Fi wireless memory card comparison chart | Eye-Fi
10-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Better go directly on the Eye Fi page, different card do different function

Eye-Fi wireless memory card comparison chart | Eye-Fi
You are right before ordering a card check out the features of the ones that are available, they do vary form the older to the newer versions
10-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
I have this combo and they just do not want to play together. The eye-fi card works perfectly on my Kx and did on my K7.

On the K5 it is just not recognized. All I get is card error. Will not format.

Anyone else have a K5 and an Eye-fi card? If so did you get the same result or is it just my camera?
What Eyefi card exactly?

The K-7 was only added after the X2 cards came out, so I guess you have that. Let Eyefi and Pentax know.
10-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
What Eyefi card exactly?

The K-7 was only added after the X2 cards came out, so I guess you have that. Let Eyefi and Pentax know.
Yes Falk, It's the 8 gb X2 that does raw and Jpg's. Worked fine with K7 and KX, only thing I am concerned about at this stage is that it will not even format in the camera.
10-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Eye-Fi Pro X2 card. Just tested it with my K-5. Formatted just fine. Transferred pictures to my computer just like my K20D (actually I think a little faster). No problems at all. Did need to update the Eye-Fi Center and Helper to current versions before testing.
10-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
I have the Eye-Fi Pro X2 card. Just tested it with my K-5. Formatted just fine. Transferred pictures to my computer just like my K20D (actually I think a little faster). No problems at all. Did need to update the Eye-Fi Center and Helper to current versions before testing.
Hmm. I did the update and it also updated the firmware on the card, still not working. Maybe I will send it in for a replacement and see if a new one works. All I needed to know was if it was possible.

Thanks.
10-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Are you using windows, mac or linux? Did the card came with the software?

Thanks.