Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 in Italy

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all, I'm going to Italy for two weeks with my K5, and really don't want to drag around my Manfrotto Tripod. Do you think a mono pod would steady my shots enough at no more than 1600 iso? I really don't have fast lenses, just the kit 18-55, and the 55-300. Now I do gave an old 50mm Super Takumar f1.4, just don't know if I want to mess with the light meter, and focus, plus it's a screw mount so I'd need the adapter, and would have to mess with that as well.

09-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Hi all, I'm going to Italy for two weeks with my K5, and really don't want to drag around my Manfrotto Tripod. Do you think a mono pod would steady my shots enough at no more than 1600 iso? I really don't have fast lenses, just the kit 18-55, and the 55-300. Now I do gave an old 50mm Super Takumar f1.4, just don't know if I want to mess with the light meter, and focus, plus it's a screw mount so I'd need the adapter, and would have to mess with that as well.
A monopod will be decent as long as you don't want shots that are over a second long. I think for most things short of astro photography you would be fine.
09-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not experienced enough to speak to tripod/monopod technique but maybe i can convince you to brig the takumar.

if you get one of the non-flanged adapters on ebay (link to where i got mine from, it's in the US so it'll ship quickly to you) it's actually an adapter with a little tab screwed on to keep it latched inside the camera, and a tool to release that tab when you want the adapter to ocme out of the camera. what I've done with mine is to use a jeweler's screwdriver to unscrew the tiny screw holding that tab on so you don't need a special tool to remove the adapter from the camera. then just thread the adapter onto your M42 lens and leave it there permenantly (you may want to get a K-mount lens end cap). your lens will not stay latched onto the camera, but the K mount provides enough resistance to the lenses coming off that it won't be a problem.

I shoot manual lenses almost exclusively and they aren't a problem on this camera. since it's a F/1.4 lens it should be bright and quite easy to focus in your viewfinder, then once you have proper focus just stop down on the lens till you get the desired exposure. you must first set the focus switch to MF and menu function C/4/27 "using aperture ring" to 2 ""Permitted". If you use AE lock, just remember not to use it until after you've stopped down.

Last edited by jerm1386; 09-14-2011 at 04:58 AM.
09-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

In Italy, where you would find tripod useful, you are forbidden to use it. I had my tripod in Italy this year and I almost haven't used it. Just for foew shots out of thousand.

09-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #5

You know, worst case scenario you could pick up an el-cheapo tripod while you're out there. Ciao!
09-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #6

Been to Italy a few times. It is a bright country in the summer and before the rainy season starts in winter so most times you are stopping down and using slow ISOs during the day. I never used a support but when needed I just used whatever was around, a wall to lean against, a post to put the camera on and such. Night shots, I just used a bench or wall. Save yourself the grief of dragging around extra gear. The only trips that get the supporting devices added are when I am shootin from my car and the hikes are not too long. Otherwise, work on your hand holding skills before the trip. Check out my website for my recent trips to Italy and Germany, all hand held. Enjoy, Dave
09-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Been to Italy a few times. It is a bright country in the summer and before the rainy season starts in winter so most times you are stopping down and using slow ISOs during the day. I never used a support but when needed I just used whatever was around, a wall to lean against, a post to put the camera on and such. Night shots, I just used a bench or wall. Save yourself the grief of dragging around extra gear. The only trips that get the supporting devices added are when I am shootin from my car and the hikes are not too long. Otherwise, work on your hand holding skills before the trip. Check out my website for my recent trips to Italy and Germany, all hand held. Enjoy, Dave
Yes, Thats what I did when I went with my very Olympus ten years ago. I even got great shots in St. Pete's with no flash.

09-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Just about any support will do.

Taken with the camera sitting on the porch railing...

K5JS0687_mVoig58f14_SiS_Sept9_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hand Held

K5JS0666_mVoig58f14_SiS_Sept9_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

They were taken around 2:30 AM. Not the best examples of good photos but testament to the ability of the K5. At ISO 1600, you're not even scratching the surface with this camera. I have both monopods and tripods and barely use them. For that matter I barely use a flash anymore (and I have a couple expensive ones collecting dust). You don't have to live at f1.4 to take low light photos with the K5 (but it does sometimes help).

09-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shot these hand held in 2001 with that old Olympus range finder camera. No Anit-Shake, but I was ten years younger.

Last edited by Tony3d; 09-03-2015 at 06:18 PM.
09-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Inactive Account

.... and you're wondering if the K5 is up to the task?

09-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just returned from Italy a week back. Very hot and sunny. Used a K20D hand held even in the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican Museum, St. Peters Church, and in Venice, and in Florence and in Pisa and in ...... I have attached a photo from the Sistine Chapel - you bet no flash - not allowed. Isin't it beautiful - some hand shake is visible - could not help it - getting old. I could have cried inside the chapel, or did I? So awesome. Sized from 10 MB.
No you don't need a monopod. Besides you may frighten some people. And I found the AL II kit lens as the most used from my other collection. I do wish I had something wider than an 18 mm in some situations like the Trevi Fountain.
And don't forget to buy the curios to take back home, they are the cheapest in Italy than the rest of Europe. Take lots of SDHC cards. Good luck.

Last edited by nanhi; 11-19-2012 at 08:31 AM.
09-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My last trip to Italy (general Naples area) was with film and camcorder, no digicams. But since then I've wandered through equivalent cities and villages (and museums) in Mexico and Central America, with my K20D. I hate swapping zooms around 55mm but your kit should serve you. It's probably too late for you to look for a used DA18-250, which really is an ideal tourist lens.

Yes, do take the Tak50! Metering is no problem -- it will work in Av mode, just don't stop down further than f/8-11.

I wouldn't bother with a 'pod, other than maybe a little tabletop job -- besides legs, mine also has a clamp so it can be secured to not-to-thick objects. For monopod-type steadying, there's the string-pod: a length of cord with a screw at one end (for the camera's tripod socket) and a big flat washer on the other end (for you to stand on). Just drop the line, stomp the washer, pull taut, and shoot.

While you're there, look for a theme. Mine is fountains with squirty-titted nymphs. Your proclivities may vary.
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Why limit yourself to ISO 1600 with the K-5 when the camera will readily deliver at even much higher ISOs.
Shoot in RAW to extract the maximum exposure latitude and dynamic range. Handheld available light shooting is dead easy with the K-5.
09-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Inactive Account

If I were lucky enough to go to Italy. And owned the k-5. The first thing I would is buy a decent lens. Why own a K-5 with cheap glass? The difference would be astonishing and worth every penny. You would be better off selling the K-5 and getting a K-x and good glass. The Kx is one of the best dslr's around. 1500 dollars for a body that can really produce and then use cheap glass is very hard for me to comprehend.
09-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
If I were lucky enough to go to Italy. And owned the k-5. The first thing I would is buy a decent lens. Why own a K-5 with cheap glass? The difference would be astonishing and worth every penny. You would be better off selling the K-5 and getting a K-x and good glass. The Kx is one of the best dslr's around. 1500 dollars for a body that can really produce and then use cheap glass is very hard for me to comprehend.
I would think my Super Takumar 1.4 50mm would be decent glass.