Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #1

K5 white balance problems

so, I have had my k5 for a few days now and so far it is a wonderful piece of equipment but when ever I use auto white balance the K5 gets is wrong, really wrong. Fortunately I shoot in RAW so this is not that much of a problem but as an example I was out shooting today in slightly overcast conditions and the auto white balance thought that tungsten light was a good idea.

Is their something I am doing wrong? Is their some setting in the menu that I might be able to change? Its not a big problem its would just be nice to have to change the white balance all the time.

Thanks for reading.

01-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan.wadsworth Quote
Its not a big problem its would just be nice to have to change the white balance all the time.
Well, you said you shoot RAW - so presumably you are using a RAW developer to edit in post, so why not leave it on AWB as there's no need to even be thinking about changing the white balance 'all the time' ?

One question, you say on AWB it chose 'Tungsten'? How do you know this? On all my Pentax cams, it just say's 'Auto' in the EXIF when I use AWB.
01-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have K5 bodies and they rarely get the wb wrong when set to auto, any way how do you know it was tungsten or are you guessing?
01-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Well, you said you shoot RAW - so presumably you are using a RAW developer to edit in post, so why not leave it on AWB as there's no need to even be thinking about changing the white balance 'all the time' ?

One question, you say on AWB it chose 'Tungsten'? How do you know this? On all my Pentax cams, it just say's 'Auto' in the EXIF when I use AWB.
In post processing I often try a few different white balance settings (just to see what they look like) and on this particular occasion I found that tungsten was the closest match to what I remember the camera had recorded.

01-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I have K5 bodies and they rarely get the wb wrong when set to auto, any way how do you know it was tungsten or are you guessing?
In post processing I often try a few different white balance settings (just to see what they look like) and on this particular occasion I found that tungsten was the closest match to what I remember the camera had recorded.
01-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post a picture (with EXIF)? I'm sure you'll get some useful feedback.
01-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I found that tungsten was the closest match to what I remember the camera had recorded.
It's what you 'remember' the camera had recorded? Hardy reliable or fair assessment of the K-5's AWB to warrant saying; "K5 gets is wrong, really wrong." Can you post a file with EXIF intact as asked.
But, as you shoot RAW anyway it's all rather academic? You could always use custom WB before the shot if you want more accurate JPG out of the camera, takes an extra few seconds, but that's why we buy semi-pro gear because we don't want the camera making decisions, right ?