Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Should I upgrade to K-5ii from Kr

I passed by a shop and they has a K-5ii body on sale for $599. Brand new with warranty.

I am using a K-r and everything is good with it. Should I go for this upgrade? Someone told me just keep the K-r body as a back up but I don't know why I need 2 bodies.

What are the differences between K-5II and K-5IIs?

08-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

K5ii has an AA filter, it may produce images a tiny bit softer but you will not get moire patterns and false colors.
K5iis has no AA filter. It should produce sharper images but at the risk of moire.

Moire patterns do not appear in nature, so if you do landscape mostly the iis is best. But moire can be found where you have lots of lines usually tightly spaced (i.e. close up of fabric) and without the AA filter it might cause the camera to see colors and patterns that are not there and these are usually not pleasing.

However, no AA filter is a new trend and you can get stunning results with either camera.

As for the upgrade, in my case I went from a Kr to a K5 (original) and even though the Kr is very good, the K5 gives you way more direct control and does have a few feature missing from the Kr. I did see a bigger difference on my fancier lenses.

Overall, I was very happy with my move and you quickly appreciate the new features (like mirror lock-up and top LCD, dual control wheels and weather sealing, better battery, possibility of adding a grip, quieter shutter). It is an upgrade in every regards compared to your Kr. It is also quite a bit heavier.

It is a good deal considering that the camera was worth almost twice as much not even a year ago but I haven't looked at what the prices look like recently. Only you can decide.
08-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the info. Is the hotshoe compatible between these 2 models? I just bought an external flash for my Kr.
08-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should be....

08-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dmnf Quote
I passed by a shop and they has a K-5ii body on sale for $599. Brand new with warranty.

I am using a K-r and everything is good with it. Should I go for this upgrade? Someone told me just keep the K-r body as a back up but I don't know why I need 2 bodies.

What are the differences between K-5II and K-5IIs?
Well it's a pretty big upgrade in terms of handling, build quality, performance, and image quality. I would go for it at that price unless you're perfectly content with everything about the K-r. Is there something that bugs you about the camera?

Take a look at our K-5 II/s review for more info:
Review: Pentax K-5 II / IIs - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmnf Quote
Is the hotshoe compatible between these 2 models?
I think only Sony (because of Minolta before it was purchased by Sony) have different hotshoes.

So 99.999% sure it will work (if it worked with your Kr)
08-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from the K-X to the K-30. The IQ jump wasn't as big as going from the kit lens to a good prime, but it was noticeable. The biggest difference is the amount of cropping you can get away with. Really useful sometimes.

The big difference for me was two control wheels. I have mine set so in Av mode, the front wheel changes ISO. Even better is TAv mode where the front wheel controls shutter, rear controls aperture, ISO goes to Auto. So much easier to get the exposure you want.

So YES do it. It will add to your photography related fun by a large amount.

08-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've had K-r, and now I have K-5IIs. My K-r was a good camera, but K-5IIs is at a different level. First, when you press the shutter on K-5IIs, you don't feel that shake which annoys me at K-r. and the level of controls you have is much bigger. And I'm not sorry that I've paid about 500 Euros over the price I get when I have sold my K-r. (I bought the K-5IIs with the vertical grip).
08-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Go for it. I upgraded from a K10D to the K5II and am glad I did so. The K5II / IIS is a wonderful camera with minimal differences between them (AA Filter). When I bought mine, the IIS was about $100.00 more and I considere the difference minimal enough to save that extra and just get the K5II. I've since taken the camera on a Major vacation and am very happy with the results.
08-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll confirm what fgaudet stated re the AA filter. I've owned my K5IIs for over a year, taken close to 10000 shots with it, and only seen moire once (a roof in the distance that had corregations, and I had to look pretty hard to find it). Most of my photography is landscapes and wildlife, but I have taken quite a number of portraits of my wife and friends as well and never seen moire.
08-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's info. I am convinced and I will go for it.