Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5, K5II or K3?

Hi Guys,
i have a little problem to choose a camera... I have just sell my Canon 5D Old because in the high level iso was terrific...

So, i would buy a Pentax machine but i don't know which choosen between K5 - K5II and K3

I would put two lens: Pentax 17-70 and one 35mm pentax

Thanks and i'm sorry for my bad english

08-28-2014, 01:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Get the newest one you can afford. I'd skip K5 cause AF is not so good as K5II/K3. K5II(s) is a decent camera. K3 is presumably better
08-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oliver88 Quote
Hi Guys,
i have a little problem to choose a camera... I have just sell my Canon 5D Old because in the high level iso was terrific...

So, i would buy a Pentax machine but i don't know which choosen between K5 - K5II and K3

I would put two lens: Pentax 17-70 and one 35mm pentax

Thanks and i'm sorry for my bad english
If you can afford it, get a K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2014, 03:11 AM   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have owned a K-5 and now have a K-3. I had a very good look at the K-5iis in store at B+H before purchasing the K-3 (I was in NY at the time).

I was very happy with the K-5 and the images I was making with it, but the tech is getting older now. The 16MP sensor is good, the camera handles well, isn't too heavy and can be used to make very nice images. Overall it was a camera I was happy with - because I mainly take photos of landscapes, cityscapes, and still portraits. Video isn't a Pentax strong point, and autofocus on the K-5 is not really that good for sports, action or birds in flight for example.

The K-5iis is a good camera, has better autofocus than the K-5 and with no AA filter gives much sharper images. The rear LCD is noticeably dimmer than the one on the K-3 and seems to have less resolution. If you can't afford the K-3 then the K-5iis would be a good second choice. I nearly brought it.

The K-3 is the highest priced of the 3 cameras being compared, but for my image making offered some advantages over the K-5iis. These were - better autofocus, higher resolution and brighter LCD, twin SD card slots (back-up, JPEG + RAW, or just more RAW images), AA filter choices, ability to use the Flu-card. On the day the price differential was not that much - combined with the overall newer tech, newer image sensor, larger RAW buffer, etc it just made a better choice for me. Video is better implemented on the K-3, but I do not use it, so it is not an issue for me. The K-3 is slightly heavier than the K-5 series, and is noticeable.

One thing I did notice - I had got very used to the K-5 and how it performed over 2 years of usage (30,000 images), and was confident in my settings and subsequent images as a result. I have had my K-3 for nearly 4 months now (3,500 images). There are enough subtle changes in the way it works, and what works that it has taken a while gain the same level of familiarity with the camera. I have found the confidence has returned in the past month, and as a result I am now much happier with using it.

Which would I buy now if I had the chance again - actually, I have asked myself the question a few times over the past few months - as I don't think there is that much between the images from the K-3 and the K-5iis. I do notice the extra weight of the K-3 occasionally, and wish it was just a little lighter. In the last month I have made some images I have been very happy with, and have settled down into the K-3, so yes, I would buy it again.

I trust this helps - best wishes with your decisions. The good news is you cannot make a 'wrong' choice here - they are all very good cameras.

Ross

08-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I had the K100DS. Then I handled someone else's K-5 for a few minutes. I was so impressed how much better it was than the old one that I wanted a new top of range model. After the K-3 had been around a while I got one. It was so much nicer to use than the K100DS, and so much easier to focus (I use MF lenses) and gave nice intuitive control of all the basic stuff a film photographer would want to control that I have really liked it. It brought back to me the pleasure of photography in a way the K100DS never gave, taking me back to my youth with the MX.

If K-3 is in your affordability range - I would recommend.
08-28-2014, 04:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-5, solid as, it will become my second body soon, as I'm not long off getting a K-3
08-28-2014, 04:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd go with the latest - K-3.

08-28-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a K-5II and recently purchased a K-3 as well. I was going to get rid of the 5II but instead sold the K-3 after a couple of weeks because I couldn't see much benefit when comparing both cameras. Yes the K-3 has improved af and tracking (only slight imo), more focus points and a higher MP count (plus a couple of other minor improvements) but the DR and high ISO performance takes quite a hit because of the different sensor. it's still very good but not quite as good as.

Personally I would go for a K-5IIs but if you need the improved AF and not so much the ISO performance then a K-3.
08-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm in the same dilemma with a different question. I know all the differences between K-3 and K-5IIs and know that K-3 is better than K-5IIs in almost all aspects.

What I'm not able to decide is if it's $500 better for my usage. I'm a very casual photographer (take a look at my flickr photostream) interested in landscapes, cityscapes, family portraits (not on flickr). If I go for K-5IIs, I can probably get a better lens 17-50/2.8 or 17-70/2.8-4 for daily usage from that $500 savings.

Other confusion is over timing the purchase. Looking at the K-5IIs Adorama deal, it looks like rock bottom price for that camera. But I wonder if K-3 body only would come down to below $1000 around black friday.

So many questions and confusions.
08-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've got a K5II and just recently a K3. From you last post I reckon the K5IIs and a good lens is the way to go. Part of the issue in deciding in a case like yours is that pentax have made it hard. The K5II(s) is soooo good that the K3 could only be a bit better in a few ways...with maybe a few compromises thrown in (battery life, weight, complexity, high iso noise)..... I love my K5II and the images it is capable of with good glass and some skill.

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-29-2014 at 12:41 AM.
08-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it totally depends on your needs. I've never used a K-3, but know it's a great camera, some may say it has some minor drawbacks (cost, weight, maybe some tech things) but that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. That said, the K-5s are extraordinary cameras in their own rights, and have won awards as well, and are great to handle. Their focusing was a quantum leap, including the K-5. If you use tripods and also don't need extremely low light focusing or high speed action I'd guess the K-5 (or II or IIs) would be perfect, and you should spend/save the extra money on great glass. If you need the K-3 then get it but the K-5 was top of the line not that long ago and still has many satisfied users, me included (K-5 and K-5II). My 2 cents.

BTW, your English is fine.
08-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yeah, I've decided that my K-5 will be used with my existing lenses and yet to come older lenses (the experimental camera), the up coming K-3 I'll get maybe 4-5 nice primes for it, possible 15,21,31,77, 200 something like that
08-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the choice of getting the K5 II or the K3 but I chose the K-5 II because of its longer record. Maybe in about 3 years I'll upgrade to the K3.
08-30-2014, 02:56 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies,
I have just buy the K3

I find this offer from a shop here in Italy - new with 4 year warrantly FOWA around 990 USD only body!!

Now, i must find a good lens!!!!!

Last edited by Oliver88; 08-30-2014 at 02:58 AM. Reason: more description
08-30-2014, 03:12 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oliver88 Quote
Thanks for your replies,
I have just buy the K3

I find this offer from a shop here in Italy - new with 4 year warrantly FOWA around 990 USD only body!!

Now, i must find a good lens!!!!!
You will find that the friends here will offer a vast array of ideas about good lenses. What is a good lens, to some extent it is a matter of aesthetic taste.

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy it.