Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do I really need a battery grip ?

Now that Tax season is right around the corner, I was thinking about maybe springing for a battery pack for my K-5 II. However I'm thinking if one is really necessary. I get about 800 shots easy with my K-5 II on one charge, so the 200 dollar(OMG) D-BG4 battery grip would be more of luxury than a necessity. The only benefit I see is that it might make my K-5 II look more professional. Does anybody have any compelling reasons for purchasing this item ?

02-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Now that Tax season is right around the corner, I was thinking about maybe springing for a battery pack for my K-5 II. However I'm thinking if one is really necessary. I get about 800 shots easy with my K-5 II on one charge, so the 200 dollar(OMG) D-BG4 battery grip would be more of luxury than a necessity. The only benefit I see is that it might make my K-5 II look more professional. Does anybody have any compelling reasons for purchasing this item ?
If you use longer/heavier lenses, the grip will make your setup easier to hold and it will feel better balanced. But if not, and if you don't need the doubled battery life / AA support, I probably wouldn't go for it. Could spend that $200 on something more exciting like a Theta

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot fathom anyone getting a battery grip to add a battery, unless you want to use AA batteries. The grip weighs more than maybe 4 batteries, so if you need more power, throw an extra battery in your bag. Takes all of 30 seconds to swap.

Now if you want a battery grip so it is easier to shoot in portrait or you find it easier to hold the camera with a grip, that's different. But just for the battery, no way. YMMV.
02-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #4

The compelling reason to get one is if it fits your hands better, or if you shoot a LOT of portrait-oriented pix.
My K-5 IIs fits my hands pretty well without the grip, though I wish it was a tad taller so my pinky had a place to rest.
But if I added a grip, it would be too tall and cumbersome for my hands. I know because I tried a friend's (who has big hands).
I mostly shoot landscape orientation, and have no problem when I do need to rotate 90 degrees, especially with the level in the viewfinder.
And I'm not out to impress anyone, so I certainly wouldn't get it for appearance sake.

02-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #5

If you do decide you want a grip you can get them for half the price here in the marketplace. Folks like me have sold ones that they got in the recent bundles with new bodies.
02-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The reason why I got my grip for the K-5 is because I thought it would be useful for extended battery life (AAA batteries). Lithium batteries lasted forever so I ended up not using the grip at all. I sold the one I got with the K-3 as well. For me it is just extra weight.
02-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #7

I shoot a k-30 at work and it feels awkward to hold compared to my k-5iis w/grip. I have smallish hands but still very much love the feel and added stability the grip provides. I shoot portrait a lot so the grips shutter release is a huge plus.

02-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If I'm on a event or portrait shoot I like the feeling the grip gives me with my K5. I don't have one on the K3 but I'll keep it in mind for later. The grip just makes it easier to transition to portrait orientation and the controls are right there. My shooting partner loved mine so much she got one for her Canon 7D and can't believe she waited this long. Just my .02 cents,
02-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never felt the need for a BG myself.
02-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Forum Member

If you are thinking for reasons to buy it, i think you don't need it that much.
Grip's still good addition, longer shooting time and better ergo... also weight and bulk.
02-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was against having one for the longest time. All I had was small prime lenses. Then I got the DA300*. Using that without a grip is hard on the wrist. The grip made it much more comfortable to hold, and helped balance out the weight. The extra battery and SD card storage is just a bonus.
02-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are thinking for reasons to buy it, i think you don't need it that much

I think that about sums it up! My buddy has Canon 5DMk3, with huge hands. Big camera, big hands,my K3 looks tiny in his mitts.

Some people can benefit from that extra hardware to hang onto, otherwise, extra weight, cost, bulkier. It's a tool..think tool.
02-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Unless you are not comfortable when your feel that other people think you are NOT "pro" enough.... honestly, if you have a big hand and your little pinky finger need to rest on something then it would help..
02-01-2015, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I recently bought a K-3 bundle that included a battery grip. Before I received it I thought I would sell it off and recover the cost. I filled it with 6 AA Eneloops and I absolutely love the ergonomics! The grip gives me more to hold on to with the palms of my hands and this gives me more stability. I would imagine that a similar user experience can be found with the K-5 II and its grip. My vote would be to go for it!
02-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

dump the 200 on the o-gps-1......a mysterious device that is fun to use!