Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newer Class 10 SDHC Card

Hi,

I would like to get someone elses opinion if possible. I have been using Transcend SDHC cards with my K5IIS, lately a Transcend 32 GB High Speed Class 10 that says 300x and 45 mb/s on it. It works very well. I looked on Amazon today, and the newer model of it, which is cheaper (without shipping) is the Transcend UHS Flash Memory Card that says 600x and 90 mb/s on it. Is the K5IIs going to take advantage of the faster speed card, and will the K5IIS accept it for use is my basic question. I am almost 100 percent sure that it will do both with maybe some speed performance exception, but as I mentioned I am curious about the stats I would be looking at. The path to the card being offered is Amazon.com: Transcend 32 GB High Speed Class 10 UHS Flash Memory Card Up to 90 MB/s TS32GSDHC10U1E: Computers & Accessories

I am probably going to just go ahead and buy it, and it will probably perform well, but if you have any information you would like to convey, thanks ahead of time.

Have a nice weekend.

Casey

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-27-2015 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Edit
03-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Short answer is yes it should work and no the k-5IIS will not take advantage of the additional speed. I think the K-5 series topped out at around 30mb/s. But if you have a USB 3.0 card reader you will see a difference on that end. And of course newer cameras might take advantage of the speed down the road.

This might be useful: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241594-anyone-worked-out-write-speed-yet.html
03-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Short answer is yes it should work and no the k-5IIS will not take advantage of the additional speed. I think the K-5 series topped out at around 30mb/s. But if you have a USB 3.0 card reader you will see a difference on that end. And of course newer cameras might take advantage of the speed down the road.

This might be useful: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241594-anyone-worked-out-write-speed-yet.html
Thank you. I appreciate the information.
03-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also one thing to note, even though the read speed on that new card you linked is 85Mb/s, the write speed is only 45Mb/s. So if your older card with a read speed of 45Mb/s has a write speed under 30 Mb/s, then you might actually benefit from the added speed. You'd also benefit from the faster speed if you were to upgrade to a newer body later on.

I personally recommend SanDisk extreme cards as they offer good reliability and faster speeds. Those one has a read/write speed of 80/60 Mb/s and a lifetime limited warranty:

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB UHS-1/U3 SDHC Memory Card Up To 80MB/s, Frustration-Free- SDSDXS-32GB-AFFP (Label May Change): Computers & Accessories

It's also U3 speed rated for HD video.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've both 2x Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mbps then 2x Transcend 600x that you describe.
On the K-3, the Sandisk Extreme Pro are a bit faster than the Transcend 600x. But the Sandisk boot crashes sometimes when booting (when switching on the K-3). The Transcend 600x are fast and have worked flawlessly on the K-3 and K-5.
On the K-5 both Transcend 600x and Sandisk Extreme Pro work, but we don't see any difference in speed, the K-5 limits the speed.
03-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Also one thing to note, even though the read speed on that new card you linked is 85Mb/s, the write speed is only 45Mb/s. So if your older card with a read speed of 45Mb/s has a write speed under 30 Mb/s, then you might actually benefit from the added speed. You'd also benefit from the faster speed if you were to upgrade to a newer body later on.

I personally recommend SanDisk extreme cards as they offer good reliability and faster speeds. Those one has a read/write speed of 80/60 Mb/s and a lifetime limited warranty:

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB UHS-1/U3 SDHC Memory Card Up To 80MB/s, Frustration-Free- SDSDXS-32GB-AFFP (Label May Change): Computers & Accessories

It's also U3 speed rated for HD video.
Thank you Adam. I did purchase the card last night.

---------- Post added 03-28-15 at 12:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've both 2x Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mbps then 2x Transcend 600x that you describe.
On the K-3, the Sandisk Extreme Pro are a bit faster than the Transcend 600x. But the Sandisk boot crashes sometimes when booting (when switching on the K-3). The Transcend 600x are fast and have worked flawlessly on the K-3 and K-5.
On the K-5 both Transcend 600x and Sandisk Extreme Pro work, but we don't see any difference in speed, the K-5 limits the speed.
Thank you.