Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K5 ii with bundle - help please!

Thoughts please, gentlemen and gentlewomen,

Seen a new k5ii with an 18-55mm and 50-200mm WR bundle. Crazy good price of £533 at Jessops. I know the 18-135 is a better lens, but would this not be a fantastic deal? Are these kit lenses so bad that I should avoid them? I know that they are louder than the 18-135 when auto-focusing, but still... £533!

My spreadsheet of potential costs says, This is a good deal son!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jeff

06-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, they are not that bad. It's a good starting point and once you find limitations (either in IQ, light gathering, range) of the lenses it's time to look around for others (to complement or replace).
06-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Thoughts please, gentlemen and gentlewomen,

Seen a new k5ii with an 18-55mm and 50-200mm WR bundle. Crazy good price of £533 at Jessops. I know the 18-135 is a better lens, but would this not be a fantastic deal? Are these kit lenses so bad that I should avoid them? I know that they are louder than the 18-135 when auto-focusing, but still... £533!

My spreadsheet of potential costs says, This is a good deal son!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jeff
I'm not sure how prices range across the 'pond'...
I'd probably try to find a camera body only, then pick up an 18-135 on the forum here. But I'm not sure you'll find both under 533.

I started out with my K-30 and a used 18-135mm. Best combination in my mind. I was able to explore a long range in focal lengths and determined I like shooting wildlife so I saved up for the Bigma. The 18-135 still hangs out as a weather resistant walk around lens. No need to change lenses if it's misty/raining and I want to shoot at 18mm, then the next shot at 135mm...
Plus it's SILENT in focus and a little better IQ than the two kit lenses you mention.

YMMV.
That being said, you could get that kit and likely sell those two kit lenses later on through the Marketplace and still have a camera body at a decent price.
06-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd say go for it, and keep your eye out for a second hand DA40 or DA35 f2.4 to compliment them (the latter being cheaper).

Neither of the kit lenses are 'great', but they are more than good enough to take great shots whilst you're learning the camera, and they're the cheapest weather sealed options available (which makes them worthy purchases imho). As soon as you attach a prime to the k5iis though, you'll probably find the kit lenses are relegated to rainy days only - not that there's anything wrong with that.

06-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for your thoughts all. The price of the bundle is less than the price of a new K5ii on its own - quite bizarre.

(Sterretje, ek is oorspronklik van jou kant van die wereld!)

The thing is, the K5ii is such a great camera that the lenses are a bonus at this price. Yes, I'm sure I will move on up through the primes, but for the immediate present, I'm sure it's got to be a great opportunity.

I've got a lovely SMC-M 50mm f1.7 that will go on the front too..!

You guys are the best!
06-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

And I'm originally from your side; just the other side of the north sea with the wooden shoes
06-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
The price of the bundle is less than the price of a new K5ii on its own - quite bizarre.
Sometimes cost considerations have to dominate over sexy optics, and this is a very good package - and since you've already got a nice fast prime you can stick on the front, you don't immediately have to go scrambling for one (though the AF may be nice to have for that in the long run; it depends on what you're going to use it for).