Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #1

List of shake reduction recognized lenses?

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of shake reduction recognized lenses for K-5,K-5IIs? I'm interested in F and FA AF lenses mostly, the FA 50mm f2.8 macro in particular. Thanks...

07-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

This is Pentax. All of them. Any lens you put on the camera (because it is done in-body). (Manual focus lenses you will have to enter focal length when you turn it on.)
07-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think all F lenses (and newer) have contacts that tell the camera about focal length. And that is all the camera needs, so with Pentax cameras you get SR even with ancient lenses as long as you input the focal length. The problem are lenses that are a focal length that you cannot select (like 14mm, its not in the menu), but there you should just select the nearest widest. Bigger problem are manual zoom lenses, where the camera doesn't know what focal length is selected and you probably won't change it in the menu every time you zoom. Some people choose the middle number, others use their "most used" number, and some just input the widest one. Thing is, if the camera thinks the lens is longer than it actually is, the SR can overcompensate and introduce blur.

Bottom line, any lens has SR on a Pentax camera, but for lenses that don't communicate the focal length you need to input it manually.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-04-2015 at 05:33 PM.
07-04-2015, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Yes, so some exceptions where it isn't easy to get the right focal length:

-- manual focus zoom lenses (you'd have have to change it every time you zoom)

-- teleconverters other than the Pentax HD 1.4x on non-manual lenses will not send the adjusted focal length to the body

-- and even the Pentax HD 1.4x will not do so for non-Pentax lenses

(manual lenses are ok with teleconverters since you are entering the value yourself anyway, so you just do the math)

So putting teleconverter use aside, any AF lens (Pentax branded or not) should automatically work, and any other lens you enter the focal length value manually (included adapted screw-mounts or whatever)

07-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I'm interested in F and FA AF lenses mostly, the FA 50mm f2.8 macro in particular. Thanks...
As already noted, SR should work on any lens if you input the focal length and automatically on any lens that transmit that to the camera. Which would be the F series and later.

I can attest to it working correctly with my all of my F series collection including the F 50mm f/2.8 macro.
07-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of shake reduction recognized lenses for K-5,K-5IIs? I'm interested in F and FA AF lenses mostly, the FA 50mm f2.8 macro in particular. Thanks...
Anything with AF, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any Pentax lens from the A series forward will do it automatically. Prior to that series, you would have to input a focal length after mounting the lens and with zoom lenses, you usually use the shortest focal length, which could mean it wouldn't help much on the long end of things.

Basically anything with automatic metering should work pretty easily,

07-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Any Pentax lens from the A series forward will do it automatically.
Nope, you still have to enter it for manual-focus 'A' lenses. (Even new ones like from Samyang.) Only AF lenses are automatic...
07-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Nope, you still have to enter it for manual-focus 'A' lenses. (Even new ones like from Samyang.) Only AF lenses are automatic...
Oh, I didn't know that.

You learn something new every day.
07-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

With pentax you get shake reduction even with zone plate or pinhole lenses.
07-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Oh, I didn't know that.

You learn something new every day.
The A series did not have a microchip or data pin. That didn't come along until the F series.
07-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #12

Original Poster
So with all 50mm AF Pentax lenses, irregardless of the length of the lens extension, the camera has the data to properly calculate shake reduction? Or does it just apply a 50mm one-size-fits-all caculation for all 50mm AF lenses? I mean the FA 50mm 1.4 is very different from the FA 50mm 2.8 which is a much bigger lens that extends quite a bit for macro.Please feel free to explain the physics of this to me if anyone can.

I guess my question has to do with how specific the shake reduction algorithms are to each lens, if that's the right way to put it. I thought I saw a list once of the exact Pentax lenses Pentax DSLRs recognize. Maybe I'm mistaken.
07-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

So with all 50mm AF Pentax lenses, irregardless of the length of the lens extension, the camera has the data to properly calculate shake reduction? Or does it just apply a 50mm one-size-fits-all caculation for all 50mm AF lenses? I mean the FA 50mm 1.4 is very different from the FA 50mm 2.8 which is a much bigger lens that extends quite a bit for macro.Please feel free to explain the physics of this to me if anyone can.

I guess my question has to do with how specific the shake reduction algorithms are to each lens, if that's the right way to put it. I thought I saw a list once of the exact Pentax lenses Pentax DSLRs recognize. Maybe I'm mistaken.
It depends on focal length -- the rest doesn't matter. However, at macro distances it will not work well as it doesn't compensate for the type of movements (side-to-side and front-to-back) that make a big difference at very close focus distances so for macro it should probably be turned off (or you may find it just isn't helping much). So to answer your question, the shake reduction mechanism is not specific to each lens, but just a general correction based on focal length.
07-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

So with all 50mm AF Pentax lenses, irregardless of the length of the lens extension, the camera has the data to properly calculate shake reduction? Or does it just apply a 50mm one-size-fits-all caculation for all 50mm AF lenses? I
The Pentax SR is based on the camera sensor, so its different from some other brands, which have the stabilization in the lens. In-body SR, as Pentax has (and Sony, Olympus, I think), doesn't care about the lens size or weight, it only tries to bring the sensor in line with the shake. It stabilizes the sensor, not the lens. This is why Pentax cameras have a "clanking" sound if you rattle them - the magnets holding the sensor are floating. And also this is why you shouldn't just go around rattling cameras

As far as we know, 50mm is 50mm, but it is possible that Pentax has some special profiles for their own lenses. It has profiles for things like CA correction and distortion correction, so maybe it has some slight optimizations for the SR as well. Maybe the DA 50mm f1.8 would have slightly better SR than an ancient manual 50mm, but I really doubt it would be a noticeable change. I use SR with manual lenses and never noticed a difference, so it is either small or nonexistent. And I never heard or read about such a differences, either.

Anyway, your F or FA or DFA 50mm macro lens should have fine SR. But for macro work you usually want to use a tripod and flashes anyway. Handheld macros at those magnifications are difficult, even in daylight.

Edit: in-body SR has some advantages. It doesn't cause motion in the viewfinder (so no motion sickness), it works for all lenses, even ancient manual ones, wide angle or not (for other brands, you might not be able to find a stabilized version of every lens). The only downside is, according to some people, that telephoto lenses have an advantage with in-lens stabilization. Not sure how true that is, but some people make that claim. On the other hand, you will have a hard time finding UWA lenses that are stabilized, but that's not a problem for in-body SR.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-04-2015 at 05:44 PM.
07-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
As far as we know, 50mm is 50mm, but it is possible that Pentax has some special profiles for their own lenses. It has profiles for things like CA correction and distortion correction, so maybe it has some slight optimizations for the SR as well. Maybe the DA 50mm f1.8 would have slightly better SR than an ancient manual 50mm, but I really doubt it would be a noticeable change. I use SR with manual lenses and never noticed a difference, so it is either small or nonexistent. And I never heard or read about such a differences, either. .
Thanks guys for the info. Clearly I've been laboring under some misapprehensions about shake reduction, attributing super powers to my camera that it doesn't entirely have. Ricoh/Pentax have told us that they are continually trying to improve shake reduction though. I wish I had more specifics about that.