Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Catch in focus.

I used this successfully with my one M lens but it doesn't seem to work with my M42 lens. It beeps when it is in focus but doesn't fire.

02-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If there is not enough light it will not work.
02-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
If there is not enough light it will not work.
There seemed to be enough light. I would think if there wasn't enough light the confirmation light wouldn't beep.
02-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I used this successfully with my one M lens but it doesn't seem to work with my M42 lens. It beeps when it is in focus but doesn't fire.
I can't say for sure regarding the K-5, but on many of the newer bodies CIF will only work with lenses having a conductive base. Most M42 lenses do not.

Steve

02-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure, for catch in focus to work the lens has to be manual or has to have a AF/MF focus switch on the lens body itself. Here is an article about it ( Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com ) and I can confirm as far as I remember using it with my K-5 and K-3. But I try once and it did not work , there was something to enable or disable in the menus such "allow manual aperture ring thing" or something like that.
02-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That is as it "should" be. As also indicated by stevebrot, CIF requires K-mount (MF-) lenses with a metallic base that will shorten the contacts on the camera body. Black anodized K- and M42 lenses will not work.
02-10-2016, 02:11 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
You have to shorten the contacts on your DSLR Body! All M 42 lenses used whith the genuine M42 adapter will not shorten the contacts! Yoe have to use an adapter whith flange to cover the contacts, but you will loose infinity-focus. This will only work whith longer lenses going past infinity.

02-10-2016, 05:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can short-circuit the contacts with a little piece of foil. The connection may not be very reliable due to the looseness of the foil, but it does work. I've done this on my K100DS and K5, and it makes CIF work.

-Joe-
02-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know if this is a big deal because I still get a confirmation light and beep when in focus although it may not be that accurate.
02-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm not sure, for catch in focus to work the lens has to be manual or has to have a AF/MF focus switch on the lens body itself. Here is an article about it ( Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com ) and I can confirm as far as I remember using it with my K-5 and K-3. But I try once and it did not work , there was something to enable or disable in the menus such "allow manual aperture ring thing" or something like that.
Huh?

Three requirements on your K-5 and K-3:
  • Lens must be native manual focus or with AF turned off at the lens
  • AF must be set to AF-S
  • Data contact must be shorted (see diagram below for location) or in contact with its mate on the lens.
All of the the above are in the user guide except for the third point. The menu setting to enable aperture ring is also required if using the aperture ring, but that is not directly related to CIF.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-10-2016 at 09:04 PM.
02-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't know if this is a big deal because I still get a confirmation light and beep when in focus although it may not be that accurate.
Accuracy and precision are the same as with CIF or AF. That being said, there is a risk with CIF of focus overrun due to system lag.

Steve