Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 06:41 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Card speed question on K5II

Hello,

I'm currently using Class 10 32GB and 64GB Sandisk Ultra cards (30MB/s transfer rate). In my K5II I'm noticing that on fast pace shooting and bursts it takes quite a while for the buffer to clear writing, to the point that the shutter will not release for a second or two.
I'm photographing ballet recitals with very fast action and lots of airtime (dancers jumping in the air like there is no gravity ). Would a faster card help or am I reaching the limits of the camera itself?
Yes, I know, I need to control my happy trigger finger as well.

Thanks,

06-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No. The K-5 maxes out at...30 MB/s? 35 MB/s? The Class 10 cards are already faster than that so it won't help you.
06-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Brooke Meyer

Recommend these

I use these on K5IIs and it makes a big difference, very hard to fill the buffer when shooting Samsung 64GB PRO UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory Card (Class 10)

In a K3II, they are almost instantaneous

Looked the other day and I have about 245K shutter actuation's on my two working K5IIs bodies, had about the same on two K5 predecessors. Mostly dance, mostly ballet.

You can see the 10 -15% I kept here Downloads & Prints - View and Order | Brooke Meyer

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 06-26-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Add specific
06-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

your maxed out. The difference between my k5 lls and my k3 ll is night and day. The k3 ll is much faster.

06-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I'm currently using Class 10 32GB and 64GB Sandisk Ultra cards (30MB/s transfer rate). In my K5II I'm noticing that on fast pace shooting and bursts it takes quite a while for the buffer to clear writing, to the point that the shutter will not release for a second or two.
I'm photographing ballet recitals with very fast action and lots of airtime (dancers jumping in the air like there is no gravity ). Would a faster card help or am I reaching the limits of the camera itself?
Yes, I know, I need to control my happy trigger finger as well.

Thanks,
If you're shooting in JPEG or RAW+, disabling distortion correction will speed you up considerably.

If your cards don't have a write speed of at least 30 Mb/s, this could also be the issue. For most cards, the read speed is what's advertised and it's usually slower than the write speed. Some Sandisk Ultra cards, especially older ones, are rated at 30 Mb/s read and 10 Mb/s write.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For most cards, the read speed is what's advertised and it's usually slower than the write speed.

You mean the other way round. Read is faster than write
07-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
You mean the other way round. Read is faster than write
Yup!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: