Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

K5 vs k5iis - saturation!?

I just scored a K5iis with only 100 shutter count .. I have been using an original K5

I usually used the portrait setting on K5 with sharpening added..

The same setting on the K5iis (even without any sharping) is really contrasty/saturated!!

Did the jpeg engine change? This is with the limited lenses (FA77, Ltd.40, Ltd.35Macro...) All.very sharp and contrasty to begin with.

I figured someone must have migrated between these two versions before and before I waste time reinventing the wheel, I'd check in here

12-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are more sub-settings within each profile. Make sure they're the same, otherwise you'll get different results

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yup, changed them to be identical .. and it's way different feeling.

I feel like I want to boost contrast a tick on the K5 and lower it a couple ticks on the iis ...

I can't imagine it's just the aa filter doing that . . I thought maybe it's the newer screen ... But I have pics from both on the same SD card , so viewing on the same screen
12-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would recommended restore settings to fabric when you buy a used camera.

12-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Your lenses are even better than you knew.

I also have had both versions of this camera for a good while. I think you are experiencing the true excellence of your fine lenses for the first time as revealed by the K-5IIs. Its jpegs are outstanding. As near to a good RAW file as I have ever seen. I always leave my cameras on the fine sharpening setting, which appears to achieve the best results. Of course, you can always tweek settings to obtain the effect you are trying for.
12-12-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
the difference it MUCH starker than the lenses. .. and still very apparent even on legacy glass like the A50 1.7

... After comparing RAW and Jpeg on the computer and not just the cameras ... I think it's down to the LCD screens on the back of the camera.

They are calibrated to the same brightness/color levels ... but the iis screen is MUCH more colorful (closer to my computer monitor, but still more hyped).

the original K-5 screen by comparison is almost muted. never really noticed it before, but comparing the two side by side is it very much apparent.

Did anything change other than the plastic vs. glass display between these models?

For comparison here's two snap shots I was testing with ::

Shot 1 : https://i.imgsafe.org/f76af521b9.jpg
Shot 2 : https://i.imgsafe.org/f77026dc54.jpg

Same Mode "portrait" .. the K5 original has 2 ticks of sharpening added. the K5iis has no additional sharpening ... other than that ALL settings are the same.

There is absolutely more detail and texture in the iis (look at the side of the typewriter).

but the red of the hat is really blown out from the way high contrast/saturation ..
The color in the K5 seems more natural and real .. the purple in the binder looks natural, the red (while too much) doesn't totally fall apart.

The color on the iis shot seem to be hyper saturated ... the purple glows a bit too much, and the red is totally blown out

But the two cameras are still much closer when viewing on a retina display than viewing on the LCD's of the cameras. I think this was my biggest hurdle .... does anyone know what exactly changed in the viewing set-up between these two models?
12-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

"Compared to the Pentax K-5, the K-5 II scored almost identically at the highest quality level with its JPEG producing 7.43 versus 7.22 f-stops. The K-5 II scored better in total dynamic range with 11.5 vs 10.5 f-stops, so it seems that Pentax has made some improvements to its JPEG engine since the K-5. Note though that this measurement has a margin of error of about 1/3 f-stop, so differences of less than 0.33 can be ignored."

Pentax K-5 II Review - Exposure

01-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loji Quote
the difference it MUCH starker than the lenses. .. and still very apparent even on legacy glass like the A50 1.7
After comparing RAW and Jpeg on the computer and not just the cameras ... I think it's down to the LCD screens on the back of the camera.
They are calibrated to the same brightness/color levels ... but the iis screen is MUCH more colorful (closer to my computer monitor, but still more hyped).
the original K-5 screen by comparison is almost muted. never really noticed it before, but comparing the two side by side is it very much apparent.
Did anything change other than the plastic vs. glass display between these models?

For comparison here's two snap shots I was testing with ::

Shot 1 : https://i.imgsafe.org/f76af521b9.jpg
Shot 2 : https://i.imgsafe.org/f77026dc54.jpg

Same Mode "portrait" .. the K5 original has 2 ticks of sharpening added. the K5iis has no additional sharpening ... other than that ALL settings are the same.
There is absolutely more detail and texture in the iis (look at the side of the typewriter).
but the red of the hat is really blown out from the way high contrast/saturation ..
The color in the K5 seems more natural and real .. the purple in the binder looks natural, the red (while too much) doesn't totally fall apart.
The color on the iis shot seem to be hyper saturated ... the purple glows a bit too much, and the red is totally blown out
But the two cameras are still much closer when viewing on a retina display than viewing on the LCD's of the cameras. I think this was my biggest hurdle .... does anyone know what exactly changed in the viewing set-up between these two models?
The comparison of the photos are a bit misleading as a) the focus points are different & b) the composition has shifted quite a bit.
Regards.