Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #1

Pentax K5 II Recording to Memory Card Too Slow

Hello, all.

I have been using a Pentax K5 II camera with its stock lens. The memory card is a 16GB Transcend SDHC Class 10 card. When I use Green Mode, the pictures record to the SD card in a short space of time. However, when using the other modes, such as Manual, Tv, etc., the recording always takes much longer. I have tried different types of Class 10 SDHC memory cards, but to no avail. I have also tried changing settings to match that of pictures recently taken in green mode, but the recording time is still too long - the hourglass lingers for several seconds instead of at most only 1 second.

Any input would be truly appreciated. Thank you.

Eduardo

01-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 64t0 Quote
Hello, all.

I have been using a Pentax K5 II camera with its stock lens. The memory card is a 16GB Transcend SDHC Class 10 card. When I use Green Mode, the pictures record to the SD card in a short space of time. However, when using the other modes, such as Manual, Tv, etc., the recording always takes much longer. I have tried different types of Class 10 SDHC memory cards, but to no avail. I have also tried changing settings to match that of pictures recently taken in green mode, but the recording time is still too long - the hourglass lingers for several seconds instead of at most only 1 second.

Any input would be truly appreciated. Thank you.

Eduardo
Hi Eduardo, welcome to pentaxforums.

If the images are recorded, there is no mechanical problem. For me (on a k100d), changing to an older card worked once with the same issue. With this old card, I updated the camera and after that it worked with any card. Updating the camera might work for you, but if you decide to go down that road, be careful and patient.
01-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
See if you have RAW enabled (green will always only record JPEG).

See if any of the processing modes are on (shadow/highlight recovery, distortion or aberration corrections).
01-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure all the in camera processing is off as Giklab suggests

01-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Distortion correction adds about 2 seconds of processing time per file, so this is the most likely culprit.

That said, not all class 10 cards are born equal. You should try a high-performance card such as a SanDisk extreme. I your card is rated for a write speed of 30 Mb/s or higher, it is guaranteed to outperform the camera and will thus deliver optimal performance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Distortion correction adds about 2 seconds of processing time per file, so this is the most likely culprit.

That said, not all class 10 cards are born equal. You should try a high-performance card such as a SanDisk extreme. I your card is rated for a write speed of 30 Mb/s or higher, it is guaranteed to outperform the camera and will thus deliver optimal performance.
OP has a K-5II, processing speed absolutely tanks with corrections, I'd say more like an extra 5 seconds.
+1 for the card though.
01-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
OP has a K-5II, processing speed absolutely tanks with corrections, I'd say more like an extra 5 seconds.
+1 for the card though.
That sounds like a bit much, but it could be! I think there are some comparative figures posted in the original K-3 review.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2017, 07:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses and the advise, gang. I will update this thread once I've discovered the culprit in case other may find it useful....
01-24-2022, 07:19 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Hah I was searching the forums for my slow K5 write speeds... bought it used with the previous owner's custom settings still stored, and wondered why they had turned off the lens corrections, now I know