12-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Looking for a focusing screen

I've been experimenting with manual lenses on my K5iis and am looking
for a different focusing screen.

Back when I used Minolta film cameras, they had a screen that was
really useful. I'm not sure what it was called, but it had a circle in the
center that was a circle within a circle, and the whole circle was split
into upper and lower hemispheres. To focus, all you had to do was
match the edges of the hemispheres to create a perfect circle.
Additionally, the area between the inner and outer circle looked
like it had tiny triangles in it, and when they disappeared, the view was
also in focus.

This was a really great way to focus manual lenses, and I was wondering
if such a screen is available.

12-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have a look at focusingscreen.com you're looking for a split and/or microprism type. There is a comparison page to show the different types available.
12-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
Back when I used Minolta film cameras, they had a screen that was really useful. I'm not sure what it was called, but it had a circle in the center that was a circle within a circle, and the whole circle was split into upper and lower hemispheres. To focus, all you had to do was match the edges of the hemispheres to create a perfect circle. Additionally, the area between the inner and outer circle looked like it had tiny triangles in it, and when they disappeared, the view was also in focus.
I installed an S Type screen in my K5 to shoot fast aperture manual lenses. I did the install myself following the instructions on the website without a hiccup though I did have to replace the standard shim with one of those provided. Once I did this it was night and day for focusing with the viewfinder. The biggest issue from my one effort in doing this is the potential to introduce dust/fluff which doesn't stop the screen working but is annoying. I recommend you follow the instructions, as the screen can be easily damaged.

The screen was based on a Canon screen and it was provided by a Taiwan based company called focusingscreen.com They have a range of viewfinder options for the K5 listed here: Focusing Screen

They have an example page for each screen type here: Focusing Screen the one you described might be the Ec-A screen.

NOTE: There is a poor review in the accessories section of the forum that you can read before committing as after sales service may not suit you. I've just ordered an S Type screen for my K-1.

Tas
12-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Katzeye on my K-30, Jeryst, and it's fantastic. Better and faster than focus peaking or live view, IMO.

That firm is defunct, I'm afraid. I can't personally vouch for other brands people have tried.

12-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a katseye I bought for my K30 that is now in my K-S2. I love it. Shame they closed down. I have a split screen in myD200 that I bought from focusingscreen.com It works well in it only problem I had was the D200 has a shimm that fell out and I had to reinsert. but tht was all. The K30 and K-S2 did not have shims before nor after. the 200 use the same shim from the factory.
12-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

From my understand most buy focusing screens to use on fast manual lenses. Do these screens affect using normal AF lenses on the said camera?

Culture.
12-09-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
From my understand most buy focusing screens to use on fast manual lenses. Do these screens affect using normal AF lenses on the said camera?

Culture.
Have a read of this thread here for the answer: Does changing focusing screen affect AF performance? - PentaxForums.com

The focusing screen has been a regular topic of discussion and there's links in the above to continue reading on them. And here's a search of the forums if you want to dig deeper: focusing screens - Search Results - PentaxForums.com

Tas

12-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Mine have not had any affect on AF that I can tell. Af seems to work the same as before the switch.
12-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Mine have not had any affect on AF that I can tell. Af seems to work the same as before the switch.
In a good design, the only thing that should be really affected is spot metering.
12-12-2017, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I've been experimenting with manual lenses on my K5iis and am looking
for a different focusing screen.

Back when I used Minolta film cameras, they had a screen that was
really useful. I'm not sure what it was called, but it had a circle in the
center that was a circle within a circle, and the whole circle was split
into upper and lower hemispheres. To focus, all you had to do was
match the edges of the hemispheres to create a perfect circle.
Additionally, the area between the inner and outer circle looked
like it had tiny triangles in it, and when they disappeared, the view was
also in focus.

This was a really great way to focus manual lenses, and I was wondering
if such a screen is available.

I have substituted focusing screens in booth my K-5II and K-3. I started out with a S-type in the K-3 and a Ec-L (cross split image) in the K-5II. Booth from Focusingscreen.com. After about a year I got a S-type for the K-5II as well. Found it to be much easier to use compared to a split image one and superior to Pentax originals. So far I have been reluctant to switch screen in the K-1 and therefor use all my manual lenses on the older bodies.

You are describing a screen with booth split image and a microprism area. There are a number of those available from Focusingscreen.com. If you decide to buy one of the cut-down screens I would suggest that you also buy a metal shim kit from Pentax as they are easier to work with.
12-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I have substituted focusing screens in booth my K-5II and K-3. I started out with a S-type in the K-3 and a Ec-L (cross split image) in the K-5II. Both from Focusingscreen.com. After about a year I got a S-type for the K-5II as well. Found it to be much easier to use compared to a split image one and superior to Pentax originals. So far I have been reluctant to switch screen in the K-1 and therefor use all my manual lenses on the older bodies.
If split image screens, I prefer those by Katzeye. I had both, the Plus and Optibright versions, the Plus was the very best.
Sadly those can only be found used nowadays and often quite expensive. But those where the best imo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
You are describing a screen with both split image and a microprism area. There are a number of those available from Focusingscreen.com. If you decide to buy one of the cut-down screens I would suggest that you also buy a metal shim kit from Pentax as they are easier to work with.
Can you supply a link?

Focusingscreen does supply shims with each screen they sell.

What do you mean with cut down screens? Those chinese versions? If so, not worth it imo. Better spend more on those precise laser cut versions by focusingscreen.com!
12-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Can you supply a link? Focusingscreen does supply shims with each screen they sell. What do you mean with cut down screens? Those chinese versions? If so, not worth it imo. Better spend more on those precise laser cut versions by focusingscreen.com!

Screens for the K-5 kan be seen here Focusing Screen

A combo split image and microprism is this one Focusing Screen

The shims supplied with the screens are, as far as I know, plastic ones and my experience is that the original metal ones are better.

The Screens sold by Focusingscreen.com are cut down from Canon or Nikon FF/SLR screens Focusing Screen

Last edited by Bengan; 12-19-2017 at 11:23 PM.