Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New Orleans Skyline
Lens: DA 17-70 Camera: K20 Photo Location: New Orleans ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: mmire504, 03-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Tought I would post these shots taken accross the river for New Orleans. Taken on different days. Thats about as clear as it gets here. Comments can only help. Thanks

Attached Images

Views: 25,053
03-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me n.2 is beter, because of light sings. They are glowing too much at first picture(loews and that other name on top right.). i don't know how you could have prevented that...
03-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tend to like both shots for different aspects. Focus is razor sharp, colours are solid and great architecture in the buildings to create further interest. Well done.
03-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

Beautiful shot of a city skyline.

03-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
For me n.2 is beter, because of light sings. They are glowing too much at first picture(loews and that other name on top right.). i don't know how you could have prevented that...
Thanks, I like # 2 better also. Is there anything I could do to not blow out the bright sign and still get good exp. on the rest of the scene?
03-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I tend to like both shots for different aspects. Focus is razor sharp, colours are solid and great architecture in the buildings to create further interest. Well done.
QuoteOriginally posted by iocchelli Quote
Beautiful shot of a city skyline.
Thanks for looking and the nice words.
03-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nicely done, a lot more peaceful than the New Orleans I remember. thanks Bob

03-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mmire504 Quote
Thanks, I like # 2 better also. Is there anything I could do to not blow out the bright sign and still get good exp. on the rest of the scene?
Very nice work. The only thing I can suggest is to start with the settings you have and then slowly reduce exposure compensation by, say, a third of a stop at a time. This is what people do when shooting Christmas lights on houses at night. Chances are, one of the shots will be a good compromise. They're still fabulous images.
03-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
very nicely done, a lot more peaceful than the New Orleans I remember. thanks Bob
Thanks Bob, it is peaceful in this spot. One of the few places along the river in the NOLA area where you can see the river without barges or shipsblocking the view.
03-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Very nice work. The only thing I can suggest is to start with the settings you have and then slowly reduce exposure compensation by, say, a third of a stop at a time. This is what people do when shooting Christmas lights on houses at night. Chances are, one of the shots will be a good compromise. They're still fabulous images.
Thanks for the comment, I will try that next time.
03-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow - these are nice . . . . and a view of N.O. that doesn't normally come to mind. I was there a year or so before Katrina and all I remember (or kinda remember) is Burbon Street and some really great music.

Jer
03-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice photos, I like the 2nd one better.
03-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow - these are nice . . . . and a view of N.O. that doesn't normally come to mind. I was there a year or so before Katrina and all I remember (or kinda remember) is Burbon Street and some really great music.

Jer
Thanks for the kind words. Come on back to NOLA, it has alot more to offer then Burbon St.
03-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Really like them both - #2 more I think.

#1 - needs straightening
#2 - pity above the wake from a boat. Although that's taken in the Blue Hour I think I'd keep trying until I go a few seconds to shoot with calm water then the reflections would be oh so lovely.
03-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Really like them both - #2 more I think.

#1 - needs straightening
#2 - pity above the wake from a boat. Although that's taken in the Blue Hour I think I'd keep trying until I go a few seconds to shoot with calm water then the reflections would be oh so lovely.
Thanks for the comments. Good catch on #1 i will correct. On #2 you are see an effect of the current in the MS river, that is as still as it gets. I will try latere in the summer when the current is at its slowest, but we rarely getr a clear evening then because of the humidity.

mitch