Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Which is which- post your photos version
Camera: D800 and K-3 Photo Location: Algonquin Park 
Posted By: normhead, 08-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Cross posted from the FF section.

Because I take images on "Photgraphy Excursions" with various clients, and we often send each other links to each others photos, I have access to their pictures, often FF and mine, always APS_c...

So here's 3 pairs of pictures. Which is FF, which is APS-c....

3 FF images, 3 APS_c images

Guess the numbers of the 3 FF images...

Last edited by normhead; 08-20-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Views: 1,043
08-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My guess....FF pics are #'s....1,3,5......ASP-C #'s are....2,4,6....

Now it maybe my tired, old eyes, but I had difficulty seeing any difference.
08-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hmmmm.... I wonder if I should go negative or positive here, say something when someone gets them all right... or say something when someone gets them all wrong.
08-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hmmmm.... I wonder if I should go negative or positive here, say something when someone gets them all right... or say something when someone gets them all wrong.
Either way is good with me, Norm. I figure with my post and assessment of which is which...full frame or ASP-C...I can't lose....nor can the Pentax. Maybe if they were blown up to say 16 X 20, I might of seen a difference....but at a regular enlargement I couldn't see much difference. Did see a bit and tried to be consistent in my choice..

I'm assuming you were wielding both the D 810 and the Pentax....but I'm just assuming.

08-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Either way is good with me, Norm. I figure with my post and assessment of which is which...full frame or ASP-C...I can't lose....nor can the Pentax. Maybe if they were blown up to say 16 X 20, I might of seen a difference....but at a regular enlargement I couldn't see much difference. Did see a bit and tried to be consistent in my choice..

I'm assuming you were wielding both the D 810 and the Pentax....but I'm just assuming.
Actually looking at my exif, I was using a K-5 and he was using a D800 (I know, those cameras are so last year.) I once did a series of tests and concluded that up to 4000 pixels wide a D800 and K-5 were pretty much identical on the screen. As for printing, no one has established that there is a clear advantage from a K-01 to D-800, and people have tried. A K-3 printing at 200 DPI is going to be top quality, that's 30 inches, A D800 printed at 200 DPI is 37 inches. I've had great prints from 150 DPI, there is no accurate definitive information on the parameters around what you can and can't do with a K-3 (or even a k-5) as compared to a D800. People make guesses based on assumptions. That shouldn't be good enough for anyone.
08-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are all top drawer shots, but that second one is just awesome.
I don't know much at all about FF (never used one or read much about them) or if it's possible to tell at the scale of my laptop images. EXIF says something like 580 x 880 png images. So between the scale and the file conversion seems like a tough task to tell between the two sensors. The sensitivity in #2 looks outstanding, particularly the blue of the canoeist's shirt in such low light. Would you expect sensitivity rather than resolution to be the key indicator in this post?
08-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have to say, to me, I don't like the composition but technically I think it's the best, and it was taken with the D800. As I said elsewhere, if you have the better camera and you nail it, you get the better image.... but as in the third pair, where the APS_c is the better image, if you don't nail it just right, you might be better off with APS-c.

08-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My guess....FF pics are #'s....1,3,5......ASP-C #'s are....2,4,6....

Now it maybe my tired, old eyes, but I had difficulty seeing any difference.
I am feeling relieved that I, too, thought 2,4,6 were one and 1,3,5 are another. However, I thought 2,4,6 were FF!! Ok, maybe I just liked 2,4,6 better....
08-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have no guess on which is which, but I'd be pleased to have taken any of them. Great scenes.