Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
White Datura.
Lens: Pentax DA 55-300mm Camera: pentax k3 Photo Location: La Grange, Texas ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: sherrvonne, 08-21-2014, 06:34 AM

White Datura

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by sherrvonne; 06-12-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Views: 921
08-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They're nice, can't recall seeing them before.
08-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These look like the ones I had growing last year in my flower garden. i didn't know the real name of them as I got the seed from my best friend who lives in Virginia. Are they the same type flower as mine:

08-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just to let you know these plants are toxic. dangerous stuff. Datura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

08-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
The third image just looks like the folded linen of a table napkin, great shot.
08-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Just to let you know these plants are toxic. dangerous stuff. Datura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for headup but I don't plan to ingest them, just photograph them.
08-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks for headup but I don't plan to ingest them, just photograph them.
Yes, i did not think you would but thought it was worth while letting you and others know that they are dangerous. Very nice photography as well.

08-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
These look like the ones I had growing last year in my flower garden. i didn't know the real name of them as I got the seed from my best friend who lives in Virginia. Are they the same type flower as mine:
That's them, there is a beautiful double trumpet purple variety, these come up from the roots every yr, perennial, and they self seed if you just leave them in a flower bed, well at least in the Texas where we are. The seeds evidently are hallucinogenic but, LOL, I don't go around tasting the ornamentals. I had one person inquire if the Salvia in my yard was 'that kind'. I told him the mood altering Salvia wasn't ornamental sooo no! There are various types of night shade that grow wild around here also. I have indigenous side oats growing, canas that I've had for 36 yrs, day lilies, spider Lilies, and all sorts of other plants that come back every yr, they make nice subjects from time to time.
08-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I forgot the grin I meant to add after that sentence. It's good to know that they are poisonous. I will tell my friend about that as well. Thanks also, for the compliment on my photo.
08-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I forgot the grin I meant to add after that sentence. It's good to know that they are poisonous. I will tell my friend about that as well. Thanks also, for the compliment on my photo.
It's good to know about the plants, those seed pods from the datura have sharp spikes all over them, I use gloves to remove the seeds for planting. And I keep the seeds high up in a shelf away from kids. Wonder what would happen if mice found em?😀