Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
At the end of the world
Lens: DA21mm Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Schiermonnikoog ISO: 100 
Posted By: Fries, 09-20-2014, 04:10 PM

Went to the island of Schiermonnikoog with the intention to shoot some seascapes. The weather was good, to good! To much sun, harsh light and almost no clouds. The location I picked was at the tip of the island in a area that only floods when the tide is higher then usual. It is a really deserted place and it feels like you are at the end of the world... At least when you are used to living in such a crowded country as mine! And because people are not allowed to camp overnight outside camping sites in the Netherlands (with some exceptions) I was stuck with the harsh light I mentioned earlier. That ruled out my normal routine for landscape photo's. This is what I ended up with...

Cheers,

Remco

1. Earth's veins

2. Sandy Dots

3. Salty Tear

4. Seaweed

5. The Pole

Views: 933
09-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What a great set: you can really understand "Doggerland" from these.
09-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fascinating Remco, you took some bad light and used it to your advantage it appears. A couple of the photos remind me of the salt beds of Death Valley.
09-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B&W is a good choice in harsh light. I really like the first one as it matches the title best.

09-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Before our wars and cathedrals, cave paintings, the dinosaurs - back to when there was only the eye of god.
Stark, bleak, barren, primal and powerful.

Well done.
09-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
What a great set: you can really understand "Doggerland" from these.
Thanks! I had to look up 'Doggerland' although I did know there was dry land there. Beautiful analogy!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Fascinating Remco, you took some bad light and used it to your advantage it appears. A couple of the photos remind me of the salt beds of Death Valley.
Thanks! And walking around there did remind me of you're desertscapes!

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
B&W is a good choice in harsh light. I really like the first one as it matches the title best.
Thank you! It's the first one posted for a good reason.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Before our wars and cathedrals, cave paintings, the dinosaurs - back to when there was only the eye of god.
Stark, bleak, barren, primal and powerful.

Well done.
When I was shooting there I had a idea of what the final images should be. Your comment confirms that I achieved what I was aiming for. At least for your eye's! And thats very rewarding. Thanks!

I reworked the third one after some helpful comments on the Dutch Pentaxian forum. This is the end result.

And there is one bonus photo!

Last edited by Fries; 09-21-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Uploaded a far to large photo.
09-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
These images look how I imagine the aftermath of the apocalypse would be like, interesting set but a little scary too with my interpretation.

09-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
These images look how I imagine the aftermath of the apocalypse would be like, interesting set but a little scary too with my interpretation.
I am glad to have pulled of a world apocalypse in pictures without the associated side effects. Thanks!