Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Wrecked Boat on Loch Craignish
Lens: The HD Pentax-D FA 645 90mm ED AW SR Macro Camera: 645z Photo Location: Loch Craignish 
Posted By: unkipunki, 11-25-2014, 05:49 PM

An evening view of a wrecked coastal fishing vessel on the western shore of Loch Craignish some singular mile south of the village of Ardfern. Taken with the 645z and the HD Pentax-D FA 645 90mm ED AW SR Macro. Wow this lens is sharp! Focused with live view a bit behind the boat at f13 ISO 100 With a lee Hard Grad 0.9 ND filter covering the sky. The filter adaptor needs to be loose for the lense to focus near/or too infinity.

Last edited by unkipunki; 11-25-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Views: 1,828
11-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good shot. The sky and marshy water go well with the subject.
11-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Good shot. The sky and marshy water go well with the subject.
Thanks. It's a salt water 'sea loch' and the vegetation is seaweed at mid tide. Almost lost my filter folder as the water rose around me.

---------- Post added 26-11-14 at 01:04 ----------

I kind of feel that the terrestrial/maritime elements are going about things at a different pace to the the celestial components in this image. But is was not a long exposure (try to avoid those if possible). OK it was 1/10th but twilight needs that at f13.
11-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great landscape and the wreck is a great point of interest. Is that a jet trail thru the sky?

11-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Great landscape and the wreck is a great point of interest. Is that a jet trail thru the sky?
Thanks, and yes that is a jet trail. Sometimes a bonus and sometimes a burden of being in argyll as almost all transatlantic flights from the UK pass over us en route
11-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think maybe clone it out would be less distracting, but thats only my opinion. Cheers
11-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
I think maybe clone it out would be less distracting, but thats only my opinion. Cheers
Thought about it. But, the area where it intersects the grey clouds is very complex. I might give it a go. On the other hand I don't really mind it all that much. I agree it is a feature of note, but not in my view detracting. It's another 'realm' with the slow decay beneath. But maybe worth a revisit to see if a) I can clone it out and b) if it really improves the image.

11-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Thought about it. But, the area where it intersects the grey clouds is very complex. I might give it a go. On the other hand I don't really mind it all that much. I agree it is a feature of note, but not in my view detracting. It's another 'realm' with the slow decay beneath. But maybe worth a revisit to see if a) I can clone it out and b) if it really improves the image.
As I said it was only my opinion, looks reasonably easy to clone out the cloud bit at a time, but time consuming. Cheers
11-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a great shot! Love the angle of the wreck and it's reflection.
11-26-2014, 02:08 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Hi

I have done it for you, it is actually not difficult at all; took me all of 4min. Now you can make a judgment whether you like it one way or the other.

Personally I hate these intrusions in any of my pics whenever they appear. I think they have nothing going for them. Others don't mind and some even like them, as I said I don't.

I can also observe that Nessy has come down from up north, you can just see her at the left edge of your very nice picture.
(Have to keep the myth alive, you know)

Last edited by Schraubstock; 12-19-2014 at 11:52 PM.
11-26-2014, 02:38 AM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

Stunning shot. Well done. Thank you for sharing.
11-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Fantastic shot... the level of detail and nuance, even on the web, is awesome.
11-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Works better with the jet trail. The trail sits almost along the top 1/3 division and the vessel along the bottom third. Gives a nice symmetry to the image that is lost in @Schraubstock retouch. Composition also works well with the balance of light and dark in the sky, and the vessel being caught on the dark side.
11-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The lack of jet trail looks better to me. Good job on the touch up. The jet trail reminds me of pollution and it is pollution. The wreck could also be pollution but it is a bit more organic and offers shelter.
11-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #15

A very balanced shot.........