Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Massey Harris tractor
Lens: 18-55 WR Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Greytown, Wairarapa, New Zealand 
Posted By: MarkJerling, 11-27-2014, 04:58 PM

What a lovely tractor!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,460
11-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Think it may have driven off at speed the other way, cos it's not showing here.
11-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Think it may have driven off at speed the other way, cos it's not showing here.
Yeah - Don't know what I did wrong, but it's showing now.
11-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye so it is, a big red job with yellow wheels.

11-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye so it is, a big red job with yellow wheels.
And surrounded with greenery. I feel a Bob Marley tune coming on!
11-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice colors from that lens.., ... and Memories,
I grew up in wheat farming area in Australia where my father was agent in cars and tractors (Chamberlain) and auto repair garage. etc.
At that time there were Lanz Bulldogs, Minneapolis Moline, John Deere, International WD, Fordson, the Massey Harris just like that photo, plus others.
Chamberlain, as far as I know was the only Australian tractor brand but it was eventually taken over by John Deere.
Were they in New Zealand?

Later on the tractors got huge and high tech.

As a kid I was given jobs after school and on Saturdays sometimes working on those tractors, usually involving the dirty menial jobs like cleaning gunk off or de-carbonising the diesel top end rebuilds etc - Black fingernails and stinking of distillate in the workshop 100+ Fahrenheit, 40 Celsius, or out in the sun.
I recall we had plenty of that Global Warming in those days!
11-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A thing of beauty

11-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice photo. I recall these tractors vividly. Massey Harris was a Canadian company and we had plenty of these hard working machines out here. There is a picture somewhere in one of my family albums....which shows me at about two, perched up on the hood of a Massey Harris....at a cousin's family in Saskatchewan.
11-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice pic. I learned to drive on one of those (with a lot less paint on it) and a 1942 Jeep. The most memorable thing about the tractor, though, was the side PTO. We used it to drive a buzz saw (via a belt) for cutting firewood. As a ten year-old holding the end of the log away from the saw, I still found it slightly terrifying.
Fifty years on I am driving a Kubota with an all-synchro gearbox, three point linkage, padded seat and lots of other creature comforts. Strangely, I don't miss the Massey Harris at all. But I wouldn't mind the Jeep
11-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
was the side PTO. We used it to drive a buzz saw (via a belt) for cutting firewood. As a ten year-old holding the end of the log away from the saw,
The present "OSHA" regs of the various countries these days would surely be convulsed if they had to go back and re-visit all that!

I was just thinking my 9 year old son, the most difficult manipulation he has to do is sit in air conditioned room and change the battery in a hand held device.

I am mostly retired, but last week I visited industrial site to assist with upgrades.
To get to the machinery, we had to dress with heavy steel boots, a big canvas jacket, ear muffs, safety glasses over eyeglasses, leather gloves, and a helmet. Then a big padlock to LoTo the equipment, plus an hour of signing indemnity releases etc, plus about 3 very bored dudes tagging along just doing the regulatory requirements.

I was thinking " I hope nothing goes wrong here because I will be dead; I can't see or hear or move, and no b*st*rd here knows anything or gives a hoot anyway !"
11-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And surrounded with greenery. I feel a Bob Marley tune coming on!
Rasta man be tokin' Jah ...!
11-28-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice image of that classic machine. TFS, J
11-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And as the "Tool Man" would say : It's not old, it's experienced.
11-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first tractor I ever drove...albeit briefly....after nearly crashing though the side of the shed because the steering was so heavy at low speed and I couldn't turn it. Think I was 8 or 9.
11-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Nice colors from that lens.., ... and Memories,
I grew up in wheat farming area in Australia where my father was agent in cars and tractors (Chamberlain) and auto repair garage. etc.
At that time there were Lanz Bulldogs, Minneapolis Moline, John Deere, International WD, Fordson, the Massey Harris just like that photo, plus others.
Chamberlain, as far as I know was the only Australian tractor brand but it was eventually taken over by John Deere.
Were they in New Zealand?

Later on the tractors got huge and high tech.

As a kid I was given jobs after school and on Saturdays sometimes working on those tractors, usually involving the dirty menial jobs like cleaning gunk off or de-carbonising the diesel top end rebuilds etc - Black fingernails and stinking of distillate in the workshop 100+ Fahrenheit, 40 Celsius, or out in the sun.
I recall we had plenty of that Global Warming in those days!

If memory serves me right, there was also a Massey-Ferguson variety. I began driving tractors in the peach orchards of Central California when I was about 12 years old. "Johnny Poppers," Fords, International Harvester and Massey-Harris (Ferguson). Such memories. TFS.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA