Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The Zone II
Lens: Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 Camera: Olympus OM-10 Photo Location: Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant Zone of Alienation ISO: 1600 
Posted By: Jens Lyn IV, 12-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Welcome to part II of my trip report from the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone in Ukraine. This part contains the film shots. For the digital shots and more details of this trip, see part I.

I brought two rolls of film for my Olympus OM-10: one Ilford HP5 Plus pushed to ISO 1600, and one Ilford FP4 Plus which I shot at nominal speed.

Ilford HP5 Plus @ ISO 1600

Our very first stop on day one was a kindergarten. The building itself wasn't too interesting, so I stayed outside. The guides weren't too pleased when I thoughtlessly threw myself on the road for a low perspective...

Our bus had virtually no suspension. Some of the roads are made of concrete slabs, and all have been completely neglected since 1986...

On day two we visited a scrap yard in the corner of the large waste disposal facility where radioactive material is buried and sealed. We were given protective coveralls, and our stay was restricted to ten minutes. My dosimeter indicated severe radiation hotspots at this site.

An upside down Mil Mi-24 "Hind".

Next stop was an otter farm where experiments were carried out after the disaster.

We also visited the unfinished Reactor 5.

Day two, and the first roll of film, ended in Pripyat.

Ilford FP4 Plus

Most of these are from day three.

Yo dawg, heard you like taking pictures of people taking pictures...

Sorry, this lift is out of order. Permanently.

The infamous claw. This is a severe radiation hotspot; my dosimeter went off the scale in seconds.

From the Jupiter plant.

A trip to remember, and a place that lends itself very well to black and white, I think.

Part I
Views: 1,540
12-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Amazing work! This black and white series is (if possible) even better than the other series! Great!
12-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
An interesting set of images of subject matter seldom to be seen by the the rest of the world.
12-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Enjoyed viewing both Parts I and II.....really good images of a place most of us will never visit...or even see if it weren't for images like yours......

thanks for posting.

12-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great series! The B&W really gives these shots the industrial feel to them!