Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Philp Island, Island Classic 2015
Lens: 200mm Super Tak Camera: Mighty K10 Photo Location: Phillip Island ISO: 100 
Posted By: tromboads, 01-25-2015, 06:18 PM

Over the weekend the Island Classic was held at Phillip Island (Melbourne Australia). Glorious Glorious Glorious bikes over 3 days in a bunch of events. Currently being in love with bikes I rode down with my K10 and 200mm Super Tak in effort to snap away. Full memory cards later and only a handful of images that look nice :P

On the Photography side of things, Phillip Island is great. Before lunch you have the fleet screaming of into the sun so they are well lit, and there is good access from all around the track. I tried to scout locations that looked interesting without a bike (well as much as i liked) before then trying to put a bike in it. Didn't work all that well :P Ie. this, Click, exit to turn 3, Any more to the left and there are a bunch of cars parked, any more to the right and you have a marshal box, so.. Challenge accepted!

Click
Click
Click
Click
Click

That last bloke needs a special mention. When back in the pits he could hardly walk off his bike. Scurrying around, bad back, bad knees the works, but on the track he was throwing himself around like all get out! There were a few still brave enough to use Drum brakes. He was one of them.

The pack of the various classes were full. first bunch, 3 others just like this through the corners.

It was just glorious, the sounds, the oil wafting downwind, the racing was pretty darn competitive.

Click
Click

Do you Like Honda's? They were naturally everywhere, a GB and VFR400, one each of many. One chap entered his vfr400 in the open 500's and embarrassed a lot of them.
Click
Click

Perhaps you like Suzuki Katana's?
Click
Click

This thing had 190kw at the wheel, skinny arse tyres and was quick.

Speaking of skinny wheels. This is a 125cc something keeping ahead of a GB250. The corner speed was just massive!

There where a lot in the pits that didnt make the track, the event started Friday, a lot blew up and many ran out of spare engines.
Bimo Baby

Italian breasts?
Click

:P There were some pretty Guzzi's I wanted to take pics off but left it to late and they had started packing up

All in all, had a hoot with the Takumar. And Phillip Island was a treat! mcnews.com.au will probably have many many better images if motorsport is your thing.

And if you don't ride motobikes... Ride motorbikes.
Views: 1,457
01-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some serious "TT" action, thanks for sharing.
01-26-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice bikes and nice shots. TFS
01-26-2015, 02:17 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots, what a great event it is, I rode down last year and camped, was one of the best events ever.

01-26-2015, 03:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It really was a hoot. The atmosphere of it all was just so welcoming. I mean, you can freely wander around the pits as needs be, stick your head out the pit lane door, everyone was just so happy to talk and talk about their machine. Next year I'll be sure to be there on the Saturday as well.
01-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Over the weekend the Island Classic was held at Phillip Island (Melbourne Australia). Glorious Glorious Glorious bikes over 3 days in a bunch of events. Currently being in love with bikes I rode down with my K10 and 200mm Super Tak in effort to snap away. Full memory cards later and only a handful of images that look nice :P

On the Photography side of things, Phillip Island is great. Before lunch you have the fleet screaming of into the sun so they are well lit, and there is good access from all around the track. I tried to scout locations that looked interesting without a bike (well as much as i liked) before then trying to put a bike in it. Didn't work all that well :P Ie. this, Click, exit to turn 3, Any more to the left and there are a bunch of cars parked, any more to the right and you have a marshal box, so.. Challenge accepted!

Click
Click
Click
Click
Click

That last bloke needs a special mention. When back in the pits he could hardly walk off his bike. Scurrying around, bad back, bad knees the works, but on the track he was throwing himself around like all get out! There were a few still brave enough to use Drum brakes. He was one of them.

The pack of the various classes were full. first bunch, 3 others just like this through the corners.

It was just glorious, the sounds, the oil wafting downwind, the racing was pretty darn competitive.

Click
Click

Do you Like Honda's? They were naturally everywhere, a GB and VFR400, one each of many. One chap entered his vfr400 in the open 500's and embarrassed a lot of them.
Click
Click

Perhaps you like Suzuki Katana's?
Click
Click

This thing had 190kw at the wheel, skinny arse tyres and was quick.

Speaking of skinny wheels. This is a 125cc something keeping ahead of a GB250. The corner speed was just massive!

There where a lot in the pits that didnt make the track, the event started Friday, a lot blew up and many ran out of spare engines.
Bimo Baby

Italian breasts?
Click

:P There were some pretty Guzzi's I wanted to take pics off but left it to late and they had started packing up

All in all, had a hoot with the Takumar. And Phillip Island was a treat! mcnews.com.au will probably have many many better images if motorsport is your thing.

And if you don't ride motobikes... Ride motorbikes.
I live on Phillip Island and we have the Classic Car weekend here in March ( https://www.meecamsau.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25&ev...520&Itemid=478 ). Very much looking forward to spending time at the track with my K20D. I'll post some pics when the time comes.

Peter.
01-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah yes do! There are plenty of nice cars on that list to look at!

March hey.... Hmmm We might be jostling for photographic vantage points :P