Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Big Bend National Park
Lens: 15, 21, 31 Limited Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Big Bend National Park, TX ISO: 100 
Posted By: Outis, 01-29-2015, 07:44 AM

Here are some of my favorite pictures from my annual Christmas/New Year's trip to Big Bend National Park. I've been doing this off and on for the past twenty years. This trip, the weather was just crazy-- freezing and snowing with freezing fog, and in the 60's and sunny, sometimes in the same day only a few miles apart!

This is fog entering the Chisos Basin:

This is Tuff Canyon:

This is a cemetery near an abandoned candelilla factory:

This is fog entering the Chisos Basin through the Window:

This is Chief Alsate with frost and fog:

This is the Window:

There are more photos here (70-ish picture version, 150-ish picture version, 350-ish picture version). Enjoy!
Views: 1,195
01-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's a great series--the last two are my favorites, I think. FWIW, I've been puzzled why there aren't more photos, say, from Big Bend or the Hill Country on the board (or even on Flickr)...that's a beautiful part of the world (and you probably understand how hard it was to just type that, coming from a native Arkansan!)
01-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A great set of images, with added drama from the fog. Indeed a beautiful area, and definitely worthy of a trip. Love the image with frost and fog.

I image summer weather is quite different, with a very different look. Thanks for sharing.
01-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice! It is one of my life's ambitions to get to Big Bend--has been for quite some time! Still, it's really far away...

01-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #5
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Big Like!
01-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Beautiful series, all great images!
01-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A wonderful group a photographs - super job. I've never gotten up the gumption to make the trek to Big Bend - something I need to put on my bucket list.

Jer

01-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I grew up in Texas and went to Big Bend when I was a kid but haven't been back - would love to go and these photos make me want to go even more. Thanks for posting these!
01-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing a wonderful set of images.
01-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing....and to Creation Bear, I understand Arkansas is really beautiful too.
01-31-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That's a great series--the last two are my favorites, I think. FWIW, I've been puzzled why there aren't more photos, say, from Big Bend or the Hill Country on the board (or even on Flickr)...that's a beautiful part of the world (and you probably understand how hard it was to just type that, coming from a native Arkansan!)
Then I shall have to post more photos!

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 10:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
A great set of images, with added drama from the fog. Indeed a beautiful area, and definitely worthy of a trip. Love the image with frost and fog.

I image summer weather is quite different, with a very different look. Thanks for sharing.
Actually, this is really unusual, even for winter-- most times I've been there, I've had clear blue skies. Summer is usually too hot to be out and about, but spring is nice if they've had a little bit of rain and the wildflowers are blooming.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A wonderful group a photographs - super job. I've never gotten up the gumption to make the trek to Big Bend - something I need to put on my bucket list.

Jer
If you ever decide to go on a trip there, let me know, and I'll tell you my favorite spots!

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I grew up in Texas and went to Big Bend when I was a kid but haven't been back - would love to go and these photos make me want to go even more. Thanks for posting these!
That goes for you, too!
01-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Then I shall have to post more photos!

Excellent...I've only been to Big Bend once (after an all-night drive from Shreveport it was as if we'd woken up on Mars when dawn broke) but the landscape has stayed in my imagination all these years. If given a chance, though, as a photographer I think I would hunker down in the Guadalupe's and not come out--those big-toothed maples must be spectacular in fall.