Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hawaii Birding
Lens: Sigma 300mm 2.8F and Pentax 1.4x DA teleconverter Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Big Island Hawaii ISO: 50 
Posted By: MajorLeaguePentax, 03-29-2015, 12:20 PM

I have been working like crazy with hardly much time to take photographs, but we went on a vacation to Hawaii (big island) last week and was able to do some birding. First time I've had the camera out since last September! This is with the Sigma 300mm F2.8 and the Pentax-DA AF HD 1.4x teleconverter as well.

Let me know what you think.
Views: 918
03-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the strange bokeh in this shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The combo seems to be working for you. What is the bird with the red head that is seen by itself and also with the cardinals?
03-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice.

Shooting Cardinals in Hawaii makes a lot more sense that shooting them here in the Canadian winter.

I did not know Cardinals were found in that part of the world. Are the indigenous or introduced?

Tom G

03-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice.

Shooting Cardinals in Hawaii makes a lot more sense that shooting them here in the Canadian winter.

I did not know Cardinals were found in that part of the world. Are the indigenous or introduced?

Tom G
Northern Cardinal was introduced from North America.
The next species depicted in the photos, Yellow-billed Cardinal (Paroaria capitata), was introduced from South America.
The next species, House Finch (Caropdacus mexicanus) was introduced from North America.
The next species, a partridge called Grey Francolin (Francolinus pondicerianus), was introduced from Southwest- or South-Asia.
The next species, Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva), nests in the Arctic, then migrates non-stop to Hawai'i to spend the winter.
The last species, Common Myna (Acridotheres tristis), was introduced from South- or Southeast-Asia.

In fact, the majority of land-bird species in Hawai'i are introduced. The few native species that have survived colonization by Polynesians and Europeans and the species they introduced, i.e., pigs, rats, mice, goats, avian malaria, cats, dogs, and brown tree snake, live above 3800 feet elevation. Some of those species are still in peril due to malaria and habitat loss. Based on the subfossil species that have been unearthed, the colonization of the Pacific islands by Polynesian peoples was followed by the extinction of 25% of the world's bird species. Colonization of those islands by Europeans resulted in additional extinctions.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 03-30-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: omission