Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fisheye On the Cheap
Lens: Yes Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Here ISO: 50 
Posted By: Jens Lyn IV, 03-31-2015, 11:02 PM

This lens came to me by chance some time ago, and recently I realised I'd never used it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It isn't K-mount, of course. In fact, it appears to be permanently attached to a comically oversized wooden lens board. This board, in turn, has a peculiar hinged mounting interface along one edge allowing a truly impressive degree of tilt, but only in one direction. I've never seen anything like it.

Performance is not exactly stellar: It doesn't cover the APS-C image circle, so there's a tonne of vignetting. Worse, it's not very sharp, a problem greatly exacerbated by tremendous veiling flare. Chromatic aberrations are difficult to assess; the lens just isn't sharp enough for them to be clearly visible.

Achieving correct exposure is exceedingly difficult.

100% crop of above, showing extreme veiling flare.

Vignetting is clearly visible here.

I probably won't use this lens again. The results, while "interesting", just aren't worth the hassle...

Last edited by Jens Lyn IV; 03-31-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: nope
Views: 884
04-01-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting images you've captured there.....If I recall correctly, that lens was instrumental in the production of the eighth studio album by the English rock band Led Zeppelin...