Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ludmila
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Alnarp, Sweden ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s 
Posted By: DonThomaso, 05-06-2015, 08:32 AM

First warm day, what better than to do an outdoor session? First time working with Ludmila, probably not the last! Getting to know the DA*55 better as I go along.

Pentax K-3, SMC Pentax-DA 55mm F1.4 SDM. 1/640 sec at f/2.0, ISO 100

Pentax K-3, SMC Pentax-DA 55mm F1.4 SDM. 1/640 sec at f/1.8, ISO 100

More images with Ludmila can be seen on my flickr
Views: 1,513
05-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

Nice smooth foreground lighting. Great skin tone. Her blond hair is a tough one to light especially outdoors. Perhaps darker wardrobe or at least hat would help separate her hair from the background.

Do you work strictly with natural light? Some frontal fill strobe or reflector might let you darken the background a bit too.

Great work. Thank you for sharing.
05-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I use mostly natural light outdoor, but often reflectors too. These two are without reflector, but there are a few coming soon that are lit with a reflector as well. I would say that reflector still is natural light though?

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Nice smooth foreground lighting. Great skin tone. Her blond hair is a tough one to light especially outdoors. Perhaps darker wardrobe or at least hat would help separate her hair from the background.

Do you work strictly with natural light? Some frontal fill strobe or reflector might let you darken the background a bit too.

Great work. Thank you for sharing.
05-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

Is a reflector natural light? I think we could start a philosophical debate on that question

05-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great set, the DA* 55 shot at wider apertures strongly conveys that FF vibe, the lens should be dubbed: Welcome to the Full Frame experience....

Last edited by Stavri; 05-06-2015 at 01:20 PM.
05-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Modified natural light? If the opposite is artificial light I would go for natural.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Is a reflector natural light? I think we could start a philosophical debate on that question
05-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Really nice! The first one is especially lovely.

05-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
More excellent shots. I'll definitely agree with alan on shot #1. Looking at your flikr, though... I have to say that the portrait of Ludmila looking out from under her hat is my favorite of the series. Have you considered doing some outdoor shots along the lines of your AHS series, like a ghost shot of a model as a banshee or other creature of the night? Your AHS series is awesome, by the way.
05-08-2015, 12:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@Auzzie-Phoenix: Yes, the closer portrait is also a favorite of mine, but I was thinking to choose a few from that part of our shoot in a separate post, since it is another session I'm sure I'll do something horror-like again, it takes some planning and organizing though, so I have to find the inspiration and a good theme first =)