Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wider Than Normal
Lens: HD Pentax DA 20-40 Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: New York City 
Posted By: oculus, 05-24-2015, 04:55 AM

For the way I shoot, using a new lens is, in some ways, like learning to shoot all over again. My trusty M-28 has served me well for street shooting for nearly a year, and that lens has become almost like an appendage, feeling completely natural and comfortable. Heeding the advice of some fellow Pentaxians, I decided to try a wider angle and procured a DA 20-40, with the intention of shooting mainly on the wider end of that spectrum for maximum DOF.

I tried out the new lens this past Friday on the streets of NYC. I took over seven hundred frames, using various settings, and I am still going through them all. I definitely made some compositional mistakes with the automatic exposure. I shot mainly in TAv mode, but I let the shutter speed slip too low sometimes, and other times I didn't pay attention to how hi the ISO was going. I will learn from my mistakes and make better photos this week. I think maybe I will go back to completely manual shooting.

Here are four with which I am relatively pleased.

Last edited by oculus; 07-18-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Views: 975
05-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #2

They look damn good to me.

Are most of your subjects aware of being captured? Hyperfocal distance and auto exposure, I assume, with the DA. As for the M, I guess you would choose an aperture/ shutter speed and leave it at that unless/until the lighting conditions changed. Please share.

Thanks!
05-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good use of the new lens...#3 especially sets the bar pretty high technically speaking (though Holly up from F.L.A. in the last deserves her own photoessay, though it be a bear to process.)
05-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
like learning to shoot all over again
Aye this lens has taken you out of your 28mm comfort zone, but you seem to be getting the results, it just takes a while to get familiar with a new lens.

05-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
Are most of your subjects aware of being captured? Hyperfocal distance and auto exposure, I assume, with the DA. As for the M, I guess you would choose an aperture/ shutter speed and leave it at that unless/until the lighting conditions changed. Please share.
With the M, my modus operandi is ridiculously simple. I choose aperture, ISO, and focus distance (usually F8, 800, and 1.5m) and vary the shutter speed according to lighting conditions, but trying never to go below 1/500. One of the mistakes I made with the DA was lowering the exposure time or shutter speed below 1/500, which, for my style of shooting, seems to result in blur. I shoot subjects as they are moving, and I am also moving, so the speed has to be high enough to freeze the action. As far as whether they are aware, I suppose that depends on their awareness!

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
hough Holly up from F.L.A. in the last deserves her own photoessay, though it be a bear to process.
This made me laugh out loud for a good 20 seconds.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye this lens has taken you out of your 28mm comfort zone, but you seem to be getting the results, it just takes a while to get familiar with a new lens.
Indeed. The 20mm FL takes in a lot more of the city. What I need to do is practice shooting at specific focal distances so that I am aware of the precise distance of a subject.
05-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by oculus Quote
What I need to do is practice shooting at specific focal distances so that I am aware of the precise distance of a subject
It's these sort of challenges that helps to keep your imagery fresh, once you've got the 20mm sorted... do it again with a 15mm.