Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
FIA Masters historic racing at Brands Hatch
Lens: 55-300 DA & others Camera: Pentax K3 
Posted By: Top banana, 05-25-2015, 10:16 AM

Had a great day out watching the FIA Masters at Brands, a real eclectic mix of cars from old F1, vintage sports cars, and 80's super saloons. Here is a flavour of the day, still trying to nail the 'panning' technique with the K3 but pleased that it copes well with the focus on fast moving machinery.

Views: 1,838
05-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Terrific shooting of those vintage racing cars! I'm envious that you got to go and I didn't. I would love to hear all those wonderful sounds those cars made. Music to my ears.

BTW, I think you've got that panning technique pretty well down!
05-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Terrific shooting of those vintage racing cars! I'm envious that you got to go and I didn't. I would love to hear all those wonderful sounds those cars made. Music to my ears.

BTW, I think you've got that panning technique pretty well down!
Thanks for the comments - you are right, if only you could attach a 'soundbite' for each image....the noise from the big-block chevys in the back of the Lola T70's was fantastic, and the Ford Galaxie's and Mustangs had a great V8 soundtrack too....
05-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Some great shots...wonderful panning.

05-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great photos. Thanks for showing!
05-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
still trying to nail the 'panning' technique
Looks to me like you've nailed good and proper already, great imagery.
05-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots. Love that Lola.

05-26-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Love that Lola
Don't we all... "she was a showgirl, With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there"
05-26-2015, 03:21 AM   #9
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
"she was a showgirl, With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there"

You could also meet her "in a club down in old Soho where you drink champagne and it tastes just like Coca-Cola"

But I prefer the model that smells of high octane fuel.
05-26-2015, 04:57 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
in a club down in old Soho where you drink champagne and it tastes just like Coca-Cola
how about
05-26-2015, 05:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fantastic series !! just enamored with these vintage racers.... dave m
05-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These shots are tremendous - each and every one. Not just the panning and sharpness of the action, but the rich colors are delicious.

Jer
05-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Top banana Quote
Had a great day out watching the FIA Masters at Brands, a real eclectic mix of cars from old F1, vintage sports cars, and 80's super saloons. Here is a flavour of the day, still trying to nail the 'panning' technique with the K3 but pleased that it copes well with the focus on fast moving machinery.

Hi Jon,

Great Photos of the FIA Masters at Brands Hatch! We used to get those races here in the states on "Speed Channel" but since the channel was taken over by Fox Sports1 we no longer receive the FIA Masters Races. I checked your photos on Flickr.....I'm always interested in the settings people use to obtain such great shots. Flickr says you were in auto exposure mode and auto white balance. If this is correct the K-3 takes some great photos in auto exposure. Were you in fact using Auto exposure and auto white balance mode? Congrats again on some great vintage race car photos.

Larry
05-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Hi Jon,

Great Photos of the FIA Masters at Brands Hatch! We used to get those races here in the states on "Speed Channel" but since the channel was taken over by Fox Sports1 we no longer receive the FIA Masters Races. I checked your photos on Flickr.....I'm always interested in the settings people use to obtain such great shots. Flickr says you were in auto exposure mode and auto white balance. If this is correct the K-3 takes some great photos in auto exposure. Were you in fact using Auto exposure and auto white balance mode? Congrats again on some great vintage race car photos.

Larry
Hi Larry - only had the K3 since February this year and have not switched it from AWB since starting with it, only time it has struggled so far was this weekend when I tried some shots of a local band at a gig and the LED lighting played havoc with trying to get a decent white balance.

for the motorsports I have been using shutter priority for most of the moving shots and Aperture priority or full manual for stuff around the pits area - also as I have been using some older manual focus lenses some of the pits shots are in Manual settings and using the green button to meter for exposure.
05-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Jon,

Ok, so that explains why the exif reader at Flickr says auto exposure it probably reads all non manual modes as auto exposure. I've found that the K-3 auto white balance setting "most of the time" is very accutate and only gets fooled in situations like you had with the band shoot. My previous Pentax K-50 was not nearly as accurate in auto white balance mode. I usually had to use my expodisc to get it right with the K-50.

Larry