Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Heroshima Peace Memorial
Lens: Sigma 18-125 1:3.8-5.6 HSM Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Heroshima Japan ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 05-27-2015, 10:36 PM

Hi
On my recent visit to Heroshima I set out to photograph the Peace Memorial. Having had some experience in travel brochure photography I had clearly in my mind what I wanted to achieve.

The memorial is now surrounded by a number of high rise buildings and I figured to have them in the background of the image would distract from the importance of the picture, in other words I wanted to isolate the "Peace Dome" from everything around it. I quickly realised that this was not easy to accomplish. I spent about an hour to explore all sorts of angles, walked back and forth across the river, and finally came across this opportunity. I carefully position the framing such that the tree branch on the right almost completely obscured the high rise building behind it. Even the few leaves at the top middle edge were carefully considered. I took about twenty shots to get it right.

I also wanted as much as possible to have the flowers at the foot of the memorial in the frame and together with the fresh spring green of the trees this I thought was a fitting symbol of new life and gives the Peace Memorial some dignity.

This picture looks simple enough but I can tell you I spent quite some time walking around for the right angle.

Cheers.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-28-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Views: 833
05-28-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi there! imho the effort was worth it. You´ve got some light/shadow on the subject adding to the depth, the branches framing it perfectly, the brick wall/walkway/flowers if anything leading into the picture, the few people adding life but no distraction. Would have been grand with some fluffy white in the sky to break off the blue, but then again you can´t have e-thing. Good job // Nick
05-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great that you visited Hiroshima. Few places I have visited have been truly life changing and eye opening....Hiroshima is definitely one of them!

But this is the A-Bomb dome. The Peace Memorial is the arch in the park across the river. If you stand right, you can see the dome under the arch!
05-28-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
But this is the A-Bomb dome. The Peace Memorial is the arch in the park across the river. If you stand right, you can see the dome under the arch!
You are quite right. If you take the tram or taxi you would ask to be taken to the A-Bomb Dome and you would be understood. But the Japanese call the total complex collectively "the Peace Memorial" which includes the Peace Museum, Peace Memorial Park with its arch and various plaques, monuments, a big bell which you are invited to ring and the A-Bomb Dome. (Also known as the "Genbaku Dome") And yes, it is a very spiritual place to visit. I spent quite some time there.

The arch is positioned such that when you stand in the right position the internal flame lines up with the dome in the background.

Thanks for commenting

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-28-2015 at 02:51 AM.
05-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
You are quite right. If you take the tram or taxi you would ask to be taken to the A-Bomb Dome and you would be understood. But the Japanese call the total complex collectively "the Peace Memorial" which includes the Peace Museum, Peace Memorial Park with its arch and various plaques, monuments, a big bell which you are invited to ring and the A-Bomb Dome. (Also known as the "Genbaku Dome") And yes, it is a very spiritual place to visit. I spent quite some time there.

The arch is positioned such that when you stand in the right position the internal flame lines up with the dome in the background.

Thanks for commenting
Certainly a very moving place (the whole complex) that offers the opportunity for a lot of food for thought. I will always remember some words in the museum's Visitors' Book, written by a young American girl: "All world leaders should be made to come here."

RHN12 (Peter).
Melbourne, Australia.
05-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by RHN12 Quote
"All world leaders should be made to come here."
Indeed a good comment...
05-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Nero Quote
Good job // Nick
Thanks very much Nick