Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Not since 1971 ........
Lens: DA 12-24 Camera: K5IIS Photo Location: Edmonton, Alberta ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F18 
Posted By: daacon, 05-29-2015, 07:44 AM

... has this house had anything other than a Progressive Conservative majority. The Alberta Legislative - now controlled by the New Democratic Party. Many people are nervous and scared , personally I am on the fence and only time will tell.

Click on image twice for larger view

Views: 1,153
05-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful image. It's strange that the lines at the bottom of the pool are not centered with the rest, the builder didn't think about that. Maybe make them darker?

I'm sure Alberta will be fine...
05-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's like Bob Rae's Ontario it could be a rough ride. Major corporations pulled the head offices out of Ontario, and deliberately sabotaged the economy, then crowed "Look how Bob Rae has ruined the province." The big corporations like to have people in power they know they can buy... their mistake is thinking New Democrats are in some way different. Every politician has to balance income against expectation. Sometimes New Democrats are better than the others, but often, big business does everything they can to make sure they fail. But then, I think with the downturn in oil prices, at least in Alberta, oil money could have handled much better. Unfortunately, electing the New Dems after the horse has left the barn isn't going to help. The common wisdom seems to be, if the money movers fail you, give the progressives a chance, with no money. I question how much the PCs even wanted to win. They tend to be happiest when there's a big bank account they can use to enrich their friends. Big money is only interested in big money. Once you don't have the ability to generate it, they drop you like a hot potato. They'll take and take and take, but don't ever ask them to give back.

The PCs run on the platform that they will take money from the middle class and give it to the rich, and that the rich will spend enough to provide the poor with menial jobs . The less the poor participate in the economy, the better it is. There are lots of psychopathic donors willing to support that. But they lose heart when they perceive the pay offs as being "not enough". And for those guys, how ever much you made last year is not enough. They always want more. Oil money kept the PCs on top in Alberta. But now, there's no more oil money to buy votes with.

I guarantee, if the NDP build a surplus and put a bit of money back into government coffers, the PCs will be back, to hand it to their friends. There will be some bogus scandal reported in the press... like Glen Clark's deck. And the PC's will be back taking away increases in income from the poor and middle class, and giving it to their friends. There's nothing that can be established by an NDP government that can't be taken away the next time the PCs come in, accept universal health care... and only because there's not a person in Canada the psychopaths in the PC party can convince that taking that away would be a good thing. The American model, paying 5 times as much for essentially the same service will get even PCs dolling out oil money defeated.

My guess is, if oil money picks up, folks will vote them back in next election. If things stay the same, the New Dems may be there for a while. After all if there's big money floating around, vote for the guys who are most likely to let you take more than your share. Who wants equal opportunity when there are big bucks to be made? Every one wants "the best opportunity for me... screw the neighbours."

Last edited by normhead; 05-29-2015 at 08:25 AM.
05-29-2015, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Progressive Conservative
What on earth is one of those?

05-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Beautiful image. It's strange that the lines at the bottom of the pool are not centered with the rest, the builder didn't think about that. Maybe make them darker?
I'm sure Alberta will be fine...
Thanks bdery I may edit that indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If it's like Bob Rae's Ontario it could be a rough ride. Major corporations pulled the head offices out of Ontario, and deliberately sabotaged the economy, then crowed "Look how Bob Rae has ruined the province." The big corporations like to have people in power they know they can buy... their mistake is thinking New Democrats are in some way different. Every politician has to balance income against expectation. Sometimes New Democrats are better than the others, but often, big business does everything they can to make sure they fail. But then, I think with the downturn in oil prices, at least in Alberta, oil money could have handled much better. Unfortunately, electing the New Dems after the horse has left the barn isn't going to help. The common wisdom seems to be, if the money movers fail you, give the progressives a chance, with no money. I question how much the PCs even wanted to win. They tend to be happiest when there's a big bank account they can use to enrich their friends. Big money is only interested in big money. Once you don't have the ability to generate it, they drop you like a hot potato. They'll take and take and take, but don't ever ask them to give back.

The PCs run on the platform that they will take money from the middle class and give it to the rich, and that the rich will spend enough to provide the poor with menial jobs . The less the poor participate in the economy, the better it is. There are lots of psychopathic donors willing to support that. But they lose heart when they perceive the pay offs as being "not enough". And for those guys, how ever much you made last year is not enough. They always want more. Oil money kept the PCs on top in Alberta. But now, there's no more oil money to buy votes with.
Thanks Norm - I believe all politicians are very similar (i.e. various degrees of corruption). It's get harder and harder with each passing year to cover anything up, the social media Big Brother is everywhere. . The popular vote here was split between the Wild Rose and the Progressive Conservative receiving the majority. The split allowed a majority NDP government without a majority of the popular vote. I agree the revenues from the $100+ a barrel days could have been handled better. I also agree it's much easier to govern in good economic times which Alberta has had a plethora of. I don't think initially the NDP will rock the boat too much , although there are some election promises that have people concerned (minimum wage increase to $15.00 for one). There is a lack of experience in the party and I am sure they are nervous and will tread lightly initially. Hell some of their MP elected are under 25 and still in school

---------- Post added 05-29-2015 at 09:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
What on earth is one of those?
it akin to Military Intelligence ......(absolute no offensive to those that bravely serve). it's some one here that hope to work for 4 years and receive a life time pension.
05-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks bdery I may edit that indeed.

Thanks Norm - I believe all politicians are very similar (i.e. various degrees of corruption). It's get harder and harder with each passing year to cover anything up, the social media Big Brother is everywhere. . The popular vote here was split between the Wild Rose and the Progressive Conservative receiving the majority. The split allowed a majority NDP government without a majority of the popular vote. I agree the revenues from the $100+ a barrel days could have been handled better. I also agree it's much easier to govern in good economic times which Alberta has had a plethora of. I don't think initially the NDP will rock the boat too much , although there are some election promises that have people concerned (minimum wage increase to $15.00 for one). There is a lack of experience in the party and I am sure they are nervous and will tread lightly initially. Hell some of their MP elected are under 25 and still in school

---------- Post added 05-29-2015 at 09:24 AM ----------

it akin to Military Intelligence ......(absolute no offensive to those that bravely serve). it's some one here that hope to work for 4 years and receive a life time pension.
It's amazing for those of us who were alive in the 60's, who had friends who were communists, who actually took orders from the Kremlin, to the long since gone nationalist/left wing wing of the New Dems.. we actually experienced political philosophy's. These days, the PCs are a little to the right of the New Dems, and no one even know what a Liberal is, except "the party of the bland", som kind of "sfae" vote if you can't figure out the other two. So while officially Alberta has elected New Dems, they are so much like the other parties now, I'm not sure why anyone would think it's a big deal. The New Dems of the 60's make the modern New Dems look like PCs. The thing the right refuses to acknowledge, there are no more left wing parties in North America. What used to be the left has all moved into the centre.
05-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's amazing for those of us who were alive in the 60's, who had friends who were communists, who actually took orders from the Kremlin, to the long since gone nationalist/left wing wing of the New Dems.. we actually experienced political philosophy's. These days, the PCs are a little to the right of the New Dems, and no one even know what a Liberal is, except "the party of the bland", som kind of "sfae" vote if you can't figure out the other two. So while officially Alberta has elected New Dems, they are so much like the other parties now, I'm not sure why anyone would think it's a big deal. The New Dems of the 60's make the modern New Dems look like PCs. The thing the right refuses to acknowledge, there are no more left wing parties in North America. What used to be the left has all moved into the centre.
Yep this is a discussion for another thread. Bottom line you are correct. The sky is not falling and will not fall. Regardless of how it happened it was our choice and the drastic changes that would have happened in the '60s are not a concern. Not sure you have seen this but I found it pretty funny

05-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aside from the politics, that is a very good night shot.
05-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another great long exposure, hey if it doesn't work out, there's always Costa Rica.
05-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Yep this is a discussion for another thread. Bottom line you are correct. The sky is not falling and will not fall. Regardless of how it happened it was our choice and the drastic changes that would have happened in the '60s are not a concern. Not sure you have seen this but I found it pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyXyxLiDtHo
If you follow Canadian politics, that was funny, I don't care who you are..... I especially liked "Maybe she'll pull a Bob Rae and turn into a Liberal."

I Love the blues and golds in the image... it really has character.
05-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Aside from the politics, that is a very good night shot.
Thanks Steve yeah we a bot off topic there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
another great long exposure, hey if it doesn't work out, there's always Costa Rica.
Thanks Bob I like the way you think ........

If you follow Canadian politics, that was funny, I don't care who you are..... I especially liked "Maybe she'll pull a Bob Rae and turn into a Liberal."
I Love the blues and golds in the image... it really has character.
Thanks Norm I like it as well.
05-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great lighting and tonal quality.
05-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great lighting and tonal quality.
Thanks EM appreciate you stopping by.
07-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
... has this house had anything other than a Progressive Conservative majority. The Alberta Legislative - now controlled by the New Democratic Party. Many people are nervous and scared , personally I am on the fence and only time will tell.

good shot! great colours! how you feeling about the NDP now?
08-01-2018, 03:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Really nice!