Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Is That You Otis???
Lens: Bigma 50-500 Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: Woods of Otis ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: Rupert, 07-06-2015, 06:26 AM

I looked out my windows and saw him on the cedar fence.......Wow Otis! You got off your diet, turned gray, and gained 35 pounds!

Ordinarily a Raccoon won't be seen in daylight but due to the fireworks the night before last the daddy Raccoon got hungry a little early yesterday. He's a big guy, and has been coming around with his with his mama partner and their 4 babies every night to rob what is left in the bird and squirrel feeders. I knew him when he was a baby, and his daddy before him...and before him. They have been coming for years and every year a new pair with a new set of babies.
Docile and friendly , at least here, and easy to approach for a decent shot. Fun to watch at night...they are like a bunch of circus clowns at play. Yep...I feed them.....mostly leftovers but in the cold and barren winter months I feed them dry dog food. They are sort of a cross between a dog and a fox. Harmless unless you are a threat to their babies, and then that big daddy or the mama are fiercely vicious and are a strong and powerful force to be reckoned with. Very few animals will tangle with an adult Raccoon. A couple of large feral cats around here have tried it....they are no longer with us.

They have hands like ours and can easily open jars, doors, or handle small objects.

I've enjoyed many hours at night watching their antics in my yard. The babies are adorable!!

Pages of them here if you are "Raccoon Interested"?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157626301747051

Best Regards!
Rupert
Views: 1,077
07-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wonderful photos Rupert of your extended family.
07-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A very fine looking series there Rupert.--charliezap
07-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only occasionally see racoons, and never for a photo op like this. A very enjoyable series!

07-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Glad you guys like them...the photos! Raccoons are misunderstood by many, most even. If in a hospitable environment as at my place, they are very sociable animals and highly intelligent. They can outsmart most dogs easily and steal every bite of dog food left outside. Seen it across the street many times...one does the distracting, the others go in for the robbery. Works like a fine watch!

Mrs Rupert....she is no fan of Raccoons, they scare her when they come toward her with their hands out. They only want a little snack or treat, but she thinks they intend to attack her.

How much more docile can you ask for when they line up for an evening meal and wait patiently?

Regards & Thanks for the comments!
07-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Marvelous captures, Rupert - clarity and detail are outstanding!

Jer
07-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

07-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Marvelous captures, Rupert - clarity and detail are outstanding!
Thanks Jer! The first two are with my K5IIs...the others are older shots. Love that K5IIs!

luftfluss...That is one of my favorite commercials..it is hilarious! Reminds me of once when I left the back door open for a few seconds to grab my flash unit and when I returned the Mama raccoon was no longer at the door. I went outside and searched for her. Finally gave up and came in and she was in my bathroom playing in the toilet water!

Regards!
07-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful shots, before I moved to the city I used to see them all the time. I never found them, just hungry and looking for a hand out.
07-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh my! Love it!
07-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I never found them, just hungry and looking for a hand out.
They always have a hand out ...scares Mrs Rupert half to death when she opens the back door and one is standing there with his hand out!

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Oh my! Love it!
Thank you! They are fun little critters!

Regards!