Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First attempt at lightning
Lens: sigma 24-60 F2.8 EX DG Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Mosquito Creek, Queensland Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 5s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: PJ1, 11-26-2015, 04:42 AM

Tried to get some lightning shots tonight (my first try) because I had a clear shot at a distant storm. Couldn't get my lightning trigger to work so went all manual and still had problems (juggling torch, tripod, camera etc). This one is pulled out of RAW and heavily cropped but I thought it worked fairly well with the big dead ironbark tree just under it. We had a much closer storm a couple of days ago - right on top, all hail and wind. I was looking out the kitchen window at the hail when I saw my Suzuki shed explode. I attach a pic, for your amusement. I must say though, when you see it happen right before your eyes, you start thinking about which part of the house might be strongest.

Views: 857
12-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you should have just kept your finger on the shutter. That always seems to work, but you wear out your battery...
12-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks. I am keen to try again when the opportunity allows. I will get the lightning trigger sorted soon I hope.
12-08-2015, 04:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been doing lightning for some years now, with good results. Have a look at the link to my gallery on Smugmug. I don't bother with lightning triggers --just keep taking 30 second exposures of the bit of sky where it is happening. I normally use F5.6, Iso 200, 30 sec exposure if completely dark, or adjust to available light . Manual focus, of course. I use an IR remote, wait until the shutter closes, then open again. Always a juggling act between wanting to capture as much sky as possible vs the higher quality of a longer focal length, I'm usually about 35mm. You can actually drink beer while doing this :-) A neutral density filter would be very useful if the sky isn't completely dark.
You may take 200 in a night, and get none, or you can get a good image every exposure if everything is right.