Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ashton Memorial
Camera: Ricoh GR Photo Location: Lancaster, UK 
Posted By: Mareket, 11-29-2015, 06:50 AM

Traipsed up to old Ashton Memorial on Thursday, it's such an amazing building. Sadly the weather wasn't quite so fantastic, but the deathly autumn landscape made for a wonderfully gothic setting on a dark, misty day...

Tried making it dark and gothic in post-processing but didn't want to over-egg the structure itself, otherwise it just looked weird. And perhaps a slightly lower angle would have been better, but I wanted the tree branches to fill out the white space formed by the featureless sky, and I figured it sort of veiled the top of the memorial which I kinda like.

Last edited by Mareket; 11-29-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Views: 730
11-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
for a wonderfully gothic setting

That's a great advertisement for the GR--the balustrades, especially, catch my eye.
11-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Ashton Memorial
The image has disappeared off into the ether, it must have been really bad weather.
11-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The image has disappeared off into the ether, it must have been really bad weather.
I've had this problem in the past actually. I'm linking it to Google Photos, where I upload my shots. For some reason it doesn't show for some people. I'll re-uplaod it on 500px and try re-linking.

Also thanks CreationBear! Yeah I have no idea why it was shining the way it was, I think the wet stone was just catching the light in just the right way. Leading wandering Victorian souls ever upwards...

EDIT: Changed it to 500px now, hopefully everyone can see it.

Last edited by Mareket; 11-29-2015 at 09:22 AM.
11-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
For some reason it doesn't show for some people. I'll re-uplaod it on 500px and try re-linking.
I'll look forward to seeing it then.