Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A_day_in_the_park_Mew-Lake
Lens: DA*60-250 , HD DA 1.4 TC Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario,Mew Lake Campground ISO: 400 
Posted By: normhead, 02-05-2016, 05:55 PM

Just hanging out, waiting for the Pine Marten to come.

Over by the washroom, the kids are playing hockey, old school. the way hockey is supposed to be played, on an outdoor rink.

I may as well put out some bird seed, while I wait.

I put out the bird seed, when I looked back at the group everyone else was glued to their cameras, "what am I missing?"

He moves west so I pass by the group to try and get some sun behind me. Everyone looks pretty intense.

He's hiding from them. just peeking out at the main group.

Mine is the only shutter clicking.

Finally he gave them a little photo-op.

This couple drove all the way from Massachusetts just to see him. They missed him their first day and were just so thrilled, both with the Gray Jays and the Marten.

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Views: 1,453
02-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice photo story!

Good job getting those martin pics.
02-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hey bertwert, I bet you were just sitting there thinking "where's norm head been all day?"
02-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice photos. What is the grey-faced animal? Can't say I have ever seen one.

Also, in the last pic, It looks like that lady is just walking around with a big lens hanging off of her belt, lol.

02-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Nice photos. What is the grey-faced animal? Can't say I have ever seen one.

Also, in the last pic, It looks like that lady is just walking around with a big lens hanging off of her belt, lol.
That's a Pine Marten. There are many more Pine martin images <click here for a slide show>.

The lady had her camera on the big lens, but changed to the shorter lens when she realized she didn't need that length. You can see it in her hand.
02-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's a Pine Marten.
Don't know why, but when I read Pine Marten the first time around, I assumed it was a bird. Thanks.
02-05-2016, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Don't know why, but when I read Pine Marten the first time around, I assumed it was a bird. Thanks.
I have been told to make sure and spell it Marten instead of Martin, so people don't confuse it with a bird. Looks like whatever the thinking is, it doesn't work.

02-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have been told to make sure and spell it Marten instead of Martin, so people don't confuse it with a bird. Looks like whatever the thinking is, it doesn't work.
First sentence of your post says "Martin". Either way, I still didn't know what the above animal was.
02-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey bertwert, I bet you were just sitting there thinking "where's norm head been all day?"
Actually I was out most of the day not on PF, so I didn't have time to think that.
Trying to limit my time here on PF as I am on here too much and have a ton of schoolwork to do.
02-05-2016, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
First sentence of your post says "Martin". Either way, I still didn't know what the above animal was.
Martin, Marten, you say Too may toe, I say Toe mat ah.

---------- Post added 02-05-16 at 09:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Actually I was out most of the day not on PF, so I didn't have time to think that.
Trying to limit my time here on PF as I am on here too much and have a ton of schoolwork to do.
You know we won't let you do that. We have our hooks in you.

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2016 at 06:50 AM.
02-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #11

I really liked this series! It's like a real mini drama story in itself- shown from the point of view of both the hunter (photographers) and hunted (pine marten), and given us by the narrator (Normhead).
Thanks for putting this together.
02-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for commenting walkingwolf.

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2016 at 07:29 AM.
02-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #13

beautiful pics of that marten ! he seems very relaxed so close to people though...is he "fed in" ? Not that it matters much, just wondering. We have them at home (Sweden) to, but to get that close youŽd have to be very still and silent and with the wind in your face. Chickenfarmers, fasanhunters and squirell lovers hate them
02-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Great shot of the marten Norm. Would love to see one in the wild.
02-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rednax Quote
beautiful pics of that marten ! he seems very relaxed so close to people though...is he "fed in" ? Not that it matters much, just wondering. We have them at home (Sweden) to, but to get that close youŽd have to be very still and silent and with the wind in your face. Chickenfarmers, fasanhunters and squirell lovers hate them
The animals have learned to dive into the garbage cans for food. They've learned, people turn up, fresh food goes into he can. This guy was spooked by so many people, my best images were taken when i was there by myself. So people do matter, but essentially they just come and go at their pleasure.

The interesting thing to me is that is that there is now a single marten checking out the garbage cans 5 miles away. I'm wondering if it's one of the young of the pair at this site who went off and established his own territory, and made sure to include garbage bins in it. I've seen him in the picnic are and followed his tracks around the garbage cans in fresh snow.

Here's the one image I have of him....

Notice he's taking off at a good clip. That is typical Pine Marten behaviour, in a wooded area, you probably wouldn't even see him. Without easy food, he'd never be out in the open like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Great shot of the marten Norm. Would love to see one in the wild.
You'd have to go out in the cold... but, you just had to drive to Massachusetts to hook up with that couple and you would have been here by now. Maybe you can organize a Pentax Forum Pine marten viewing outing. The local resort will be glad to treat everyone royally. 5 star dining, hot tubs in the rooms for when you get in from the cold. Now Pentax Forumites can look just like these other guys. Maybe you could sew camo lens covers for everyone with Pentax Forum embroidered on them.

I've got big plans for you Susan.

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2016 at 09:39 AM.